Which great Canadian women deserve to be on our currency?
The Bank of Canada is seeking nominations for important women to display on new bank notes. Who would you suggest? Who are the great women in Canadian history whose faces deserve to be on your money?
MORE FROM THIS EPISODE
- BLOG: Kenojuak Ashevak is my choice for a great Canadian woman to put on our currency
- CALLER: Should Laura Secord be the first of many women on banknotes?
- GUEST: New banknote should honour women in science
It's not clear whether that face will be on the front of the bill — which has been traditionally reserved for the Queen and PMs—or the back of the bill, where some women have already appeared, though ice breakers and other inanimate objects have as well.
The fact that Canada's money does not bear the faces of great Canadian women has long been a source of disappointment to many. Now Canadians will be able to weigh in on the issue as the Bank of Canada solicits nominations for prominent Canadian women. The women being nominated for the spot on the 2018 note must be historical figures who have been dead for at least 25 years.
Our question: Which great Canadian women deserve to be on our currency?
Writer, historian, educator, public speaker, naturalist and photographer. She's the author of the popular books, 100 Canadian Heroines: Famous and Forgotten Faces and 100 More Canadian Heroines.
Anne Lagacé Dowson
Montreal-based broadcaster, freelance journalist.
Professor of Biology and Dean of the Faculty of Science at Ryerson University.
- Central bank announces advisory council to select women for new bank notes
- Canadian woman will be on next series of bank notes, Trudeau announces
- Historians look to have northern Ontario woman on Canadian currency
- Women on the money: Your picks for female faces on Canadian currency
- In 2016, let's make women visible, starting with the money
- (Oct 12, 2014) Bank of Canada still not committed to women on currency, petition says
- Because News (comedy): Equality isn't loonie: Women are coming to Canadian currency
Globe and Mail
- Women on Canadian bills: Whose face would you like to see in 2018?
- Bank of Canada names panel to pick short list of women for new bank note
- Editorial - A woman on our money: Who deserves to be honoured, and why?
- There's already been a Canadian woman on the money — a princess whose feminism shocked England
- Canada's feel-good feminism, coming to a banknote near you, by Robyn Urback
- Perhaps Canadian currency should be a people-free zone, by Kelly McParland
- Women On Canadian Money May Finally Be Possible With Confederation Bank Note
- 'Women on Canadian banknotes' seeks more female faces on the country's money