What are your thoughts on the life & death of Leonard Cohen?
Canada's poet, singer, philosopher of desire, and self described "grocer of despair" has died at the age of 82. His art touched the lives and the work of people and artists around the globe. What are your thoughts on the life and death of Leonard Cohen?
More from this episode:
- Leonard Cohen: 'We need to turn away from our own concerns...and stop whining'
- 'A real master of the craft:' Toronto musician Aaron Lightstone on Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen passed away this week at the age of 82. He was laid to rest in a Jewish ceremony in Montreal: the city so very woven into his music and his art. Since the news of his death, hundreds have gathered outside his Montreal home to hold vigil and pay tribute.
His words live on, of course. Songs about love and sex, longing and loneliness, verses full of ache and beauty reminding us of the sorrows and the joy of living.
For many, this past week has been a dark one when it comes to global politics. Many nights this week were marked by protests and fury in the United States by those who can't accept the election results quietly. Some are feeling bewildered and confused, and some sought solace in Leonard Cohen's words: "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."
Our question: What are your thoughts on the life and death of Leonard Cohen?
Michele Forest, worked on a film with Leonard Cohen
Anna McGarrigle, award winning folk music singer and songwriter
Carl Wilson, Slate music critic, author of Let`s Talk About Love: A Journey to the End of Taste.
Anne Lagacé Dowson, Montreal broadcaster and a former guest host of Cross Country Checkup
Judy Collins American singer songwriter
Neema, Montreal singer-songwriter
In the show
- Tout Prendre (1963 film)
- Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
- Montreal's Neema on Leonard Cohen: He never stopped searching
- 'He was totally unlike anybody else': Judy Collins remembers Leonard Cohen
- Leonard Cohen (1934-2016)
- The many sides of Leonard Cohen: in his own words
- How Leonard Cohen's poetry informs his songwriting
- From fetching smoked meat to sidewalk encounters: Your stories of Leonard Cohen
- Patrick Leonard reveals that Leonard Cohen was working on an R&B record
- Leonard Cohen's second cousin opens up about the icon's love of family and religion
- Laurie Brown on the comfort of hearing Leonard Cohen's voice
- Various Positions: Leonard Cohen in his own words (part one)
- Various Positions: Leonard Cohen in his own words (part two)
- Melanie Joly on Leonard Cohen's importance to Canada: 'He was our poet'
- Steven Page: 'This is when we need Leonard Cohen most'
- 'He had a line for every moment of your life': Moses Znaimer on Leonard Cohen
- Ron Sexsmith pays tribute to Leonard Cohen with cover of 'The Faith'
- Leonard Cohen, the women he loved, and the women who loved him
- Joy versus pain: Adam Cohen on working with father Leonard (Oct. 24, 2016)
Rolling Stone Magazine
- Leonard Cohen Dead at 82
- Leonard Cohen: 20 Essential Songs
- Leonard Cohen at Home in 1992: Singer-Songwriter on Pop Success, New Love
- Leonard Cohen died Monday, funeral held Thursday in Montreal
- Cohen: My cousin Leonard Cohen – a dark, creative soul who never lost his Montreal roots
- Don Macpherson: Leonard Cohen, at least, found peace this week
- Marianne Ihlen: More than Leonard Cohen's muse