Cross Country Checkup

Is it time to reassign household chores?

Folding laundry. Tub scrubbing. Vacation planning. Moms still bear the burden of most household chores, according to new studies. And they want their partners to pick up their fair share.

Too many tasks remain in mom's domain, according to new studies

Working mothers consistently take on additional childcare duties — in addition to household chores — compared to working fathers. (Shutterstock)

Folding laundry. Tub scrubbing. Vacation planning. 

Women still shoulder the burden of many household chores and take on much of a family's emotional labour, according to recent studies. 

Meanwhile, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics consistently finds that working women take on 65 per cent of childcare duties — while working men take on the remaining 35 per cent.

Why? It's what's "expected" of women, researchers argue. It will take 75 years before women achieve gender equality in the household, according to MenCare, a global fatherhood campaign dedicated toward childcare parity. 

But even when same-sex couples become parents, the division of labour isn't equally split, with one partner taking on more professionally and the other domestically.

Our question this week: Is it time to reassign household tasks?


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Account Holder

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?