Easy Gifts Kids Can Make: Tie-Dye Bookmarks
By Jackie Currie, Happy Hooligans
Nov 20, 2017
Today I'm sharing a very special — and super-cool — bookmark I've made with my happy hooligans. These particular bookmarks were made using a very cool art technique involving Sharpie markers and rubbing alcohol. It's an easy process and kids of all ages will find it fascinating! Here's how to make them.
- opaque, plastic container (a vinegar jug or milk jug works well)
- Sharpie markers
- 99% Isopropyl (rubbing alchohol)
- medicine dropper
- hole punch
- cording, yarn or ribbon
- decorative button
- spray varnish (not shown)
1. Cut a rectangular shape out of your plastic container.
2. Have your child colour the plastic rectangle with the Sharpie markers. Encourage your child to cover the entire surface of the plastic.
3. Now the fun part! With the medicine dropper, sprinkle or tap small drops of rubbing alcohol on to the coloured plastic and watch the chemical reaction that takes place! Isn't it beautiful?
4. Leave your bookmark to dry, making certain it remains level. You don't want the liquid running off and taking the ink away with it.
5. When your bookmark is completely dry, give it a light coat of spray varnish. This seals the ink and prevents it from rubbing off. Go very lightly with the varnish so you don't re-activate the marker ink and start it running again.
6. Punch a hole in the top of your bookmark, thread some some cording through and add a decorative button for the finishing touch!
Add New Comment
‘Good Enough’ Parenting and How It Will Help Build Resiliency in Kids
Why I’m Sad: My Daughter Doesn’t Want To Be My Friend Anymore
Snacks & Treats
Avocado Chocolate Pudding
What’s So Bad About My Daughter Loving Pink, Anyway?
How I’m Tackling Parental Burnout Even Though I’m With My Kids 24/7