Christmas Craft for Kids: Upcycled Light Bulb Santas
By Jen Kossowan, Mama, Papa, Bubba
Dec 16, 2013
The holiday season is in full swing and we've been busy creating homemade ornaments to fill our tree. While store-bought ornaments are pretty, I love seeing our collection of handcrafted ones grow each year. My hope is that by the time my little one is grown, we'll have a big, beautiful tree bursting with memories of years past.
This Santa ornament is the latest to join our fleet. Not only is he adorable, but he's made from an old light bulb, which means one less bulb to recycle or throw away! What you need:
- old light bulb
- permanent black marker
- acrylic paint (red, white, and a skin tone of the artist's choice)
- cotton ball
- craft glue
- floss or fishing line
- clear sealant (optional)
1. Using a permanent marker, create a scalloped line about a centimetre below the lightbulb's silver screw cap. Add a round face shape directly below it with another scalloped line.
2. Paint Santa's face with a skin tone acrylic of your choice, paint the remainder of the lightbulb white, and paint the silver screw top red (a chunk of play dough can make for a useful stand during this process). Depending on the coverage of the paint, you may want to do 2 coats.
3. Once dry, add eyes and a mouth to Santa's face using the permanent marker, then mix a little red and white paint together to add rosy pink cheeks.
4. Carefully outline Santa's beard and hat with the marker and adhere 1/2 of the cotton ball to the tip of the hat with some craft glue.
5. When the cheeks and outlines are completely dry, tie a piece of floss or fishing line firmly around Santa's hat and add a length to serve as a hook.
6. Write the year and/or your child's initials on the bottom of the ornament and cover with clear coat if you wish.
7. Hang on the tree and admire!
Add New Comment
Tech & Media
I Went on TikTok With My Kids and Was Shocked By What I Found
I Peaked In High School And Haven’t Lived Up To My Potential — But Who Cares?
I Was Raised Without Religion and I Don’t Want to Make the Same Mistake With My Son
Tech & Media
17 Beautiful Indigenous Comic Books and Video Games For Kids
All of the reasons I hate popcorn day at my kids’ school