Snacks & Treats
Snowflake Sugar Cookies
By Jill Dubien, Meet the Dubiens
Nov 24, 2014
Nothing says winter to me like baking homemade cookies with the kids on a snowy afternoon. My kids' favourite cookies to make are these rolled sugar cookies with glaze and sprinkles. They love rolling the dough, cutting out the shapes, painting on the glaze and finishing them off with sprinkles. Did I mention that they taste fabulous and look beautiful too?! They’re definitely a winner in my house!
What You'll Need:
For the cookies (makes 4-5 dozen):
- 1 ½ cups of butter, softened
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups of powdered (icing) sugar
- a few tbsp of milk
- gel icing colour – I love the teal with the snowflakes
- snowflake cookie cutter
- pastry brush
How to Make Them:
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out dough on floured surface ¼ to ½ inch thick. Cut into shapes with snowflake cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely before glazing.
4. Mix the powdered sugar with 1 tbsp of milk at a time until desired consistency. You want it still thick, but runny. Add the teal blue colouring and mix well.
5. Paint the glaze on the cookies using a pastry brush and sprinkle with sprinkles while the glaze is still wet. Don’t worry about making a mess, they will look great once removed to a nice plate.
6. Allow the glaze to dry completely—about 30 minutes. Remove from glazing plate carefully so as not to break the cookies. Enjoy!
Add New Comment
I Want My Kids to Feel Sad
Why I Didn’t Invite Anyone to the Birth of My Child
How To Make The Perfect Pancake
What I Wish My Parents Had Said When I Came Out As Gay
I’m Trying To Save My Daughter From Being A VSCO Girl