Cooking with Kids: Vegan Gluten-Free French Toast
By Alexis Hillyard, Stump Kitchen
Apr 24, 2018
Ethan LOVES French toast, so when I told him we could make it without eggs or milk he was excited to try it! (I just love that ‘let’s do it’ attitude!) Ethan took the lead with the measuring, pouring and whisking — he even had a few flips of the French toast on the stove while it was cooking! We were thrilled with how well our coconut milk + flax batter turned out. The French toast was crispy and melt-in-your-mouth, especially when covered in vegan butter, maple syrup and blueberries!
- 1 – 1½ cups coconut milk
- ⅓ cup ground flaxseed (this can be freshly ground or not, both work well!)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- gluten-free bread (I love Little Northern Bakehouse brand — you can get this at Superstore!)
- vegan margarine
- maple syrup
1. Whisk coconut milk and ground flax together in a bowl or pie-dish (anything wide enough to dip bread into). Add cinnamon and salt and whisk again. Let sit for a few minutes.
2. Add about 1 tablespoon vegan margarine to a non-stick pan, and heat the pan to medium-high. If you drip a drop of water onto the pan and it sizzles, then it’s ready!
3. Coat a piece of bread in batter, letting any excess drain off into bowl.
4. Cook on each side for about 3–4 minutes, and don’t flip too early! If you try to flip it and it still looks a bit gooey underneath or the batter isn’t sticking to the bread, leave it for another minute or two!
5. Serve with your favourite toppings.
Note: you can mash up blueberries and add them to the batter for some extra flavour if you like!
Watch more episodes of Stump Kitchen: Cooking with Kids.