[an error occurred while processing this directive]
CBC News [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Shelia's Wrath & The Week Ahead

Hey folks,

Just a quick heads up. For the next 2 weeks I'm getting the opportunity to fill in for Colleen Jones on CBC News Morning on CBC Newsworld. It's an awesome gig...however it means for a very long day... because I'll still be doing my regular duties on Here & Now. So, I just wanted to let you know the posts here on the blog over the next 2 weeks could be a little short and sweet... and perhaps a little sporadic.

SHELIA

Wow, what a storm. Impressive Snowfall amounts for Eastern Newfoundland... followed by some steady freezing rain for most of the Avalon. The trees here in St. John's are still glazed over. Here's a rundown on how much Snow fell.

Here are some unofficial precipitation totals as of 11:30 AM NDT Sunday.

St. Johns airport.......... 27.8 centimetres
Bonavista.................. 43.3 centimetres *
Terra Nova................. 43.5 centimetres *
Gander airport............. 20.8 centimetres
St. Lawrence............... 30.2 centimetres *
Winterland................. 26.5 centimetres *

* estimated from automatic weather station report.

Here are some unofficial peak wind gusts as of 5:30 PM NDT Sunday.

Bonavista.................. 81 km/hr
Pools island............... 72 km/hr
Twillingate................ 76 km/hr
St. Lawrence............... 80 km/hr
Sagona Island.............. 101 km/hr

Quite a storm indeed... and it appears that our "stormy" weather isn't going anywhere for Newfoundland. Most of this week looks very messy thanks to a Low pressure system moving in from the South. This Low will park itself just South of the Island on Wednesday... and will sit and spin there until Saturday or Sunday. Rain and or Snow are in the forecast every day for the Island this week. In Labrador... SUNSHINE takes over until at least Friday... and temperatures will rise above Freezing late this week!!!!! Enjoy.

The Full Story tonight on Here & Now.

Ryan

Your Comments

Ryan, I've been trying since December to get Environment Canada to repair their anemometer at Cape Race, but to no avail.
Maybe you can, in your position, have more luck. I live in Fermeuse and watch the weather conditions constantly. Wind direction and velocity are important to an amateur like me.
Thanks Ryan
I enjoy your forecasts, especially the graphics.
Keep up the good work

Posted by: Jerome Kenny on March 23, 2009 04:44 PM

Congrats Ryan on the new gig! You are a great
weatherman! You deserve it!

Posted by: Nicole on March 24, 2009 12:31 PM

Hey, just wanted to let you know that your the best weather man ever, there is only one problem I cant figure out and that is when your explaining the weather you jump from Corner Brook right the Labrador..Im from the Northern Tip, so why dont we get explained. Thanks

Posted by: Gillian Hedderson on March 24, 2009 06:27 PM

I certainly enjoy you on CBC Ryan, but please let everyone know that here on the West Coast (in my case the Codroy Valley) we have had beautiful weather the last 3 - 4 days, we haven't got what the East Coast got...please clarify...Take care

Posted by: Barbara Skinner on March 24, 2009 07:04 PM

Hi Ryan
You are our ray of sunshine no matter what the weather.
Sure hope they let you stay with us. Why you even know how to pronounce the NL place names perfect. That's a first. Some people call BURIN Berin.
All the best.

Posted by: AK on March 25, 2009 07:00 PM

Dr. Ryan,
My wife & have been watching weather forcasters for over 30yrs. We come from tornado alley - another place that can be difficult to predict. So here's how it plays-out: don't get the big head, but we agree that you are the best ever. We look forward to your reports every week day. The day CBC news was delayed for 1 hour (power outage) I flipped over to NTV and it was awful - not in the same league as usual. Thanks

Posted by: David Sorensen on March 25, 2009 07:02 PM

Ryan, heard you comment on the cold wind tonight. You reminded me of an old Newfoundland term. Lazy Wind........its to lazy to go around you, to lazy to go over you, it just goes through you. So if anyone asks you what a lazy wind is, you'll know. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Richard Cofone from Botwood on March 25, 2009 07:14 PM

March 27
Ryan, you are doing a great job both with Here and Now weather and filling in for Colleen Jones on CBC Morning News.
So, this is your first winter in St. John's. You and the rest of us townies got lucky with the lack of snow, this year. We usually get much more. But winter is still not done, yet. Hopefully, we won't get anymore. But you never know with Newfounldand weather. Me, I'm hoping for the best--winter is done. Today is amazing 2 degrees and I think I saw the sun about 2pm. Keep up the great work.

Cathy

PS I don't like the stong winds and fog,either:)

Posted by: Cathy G. on March 27, 2009 01:20 PM

Hi Ryan,

I always watch your weather report when I'm home and you always seem to let us on the south coast know if there is anything we should look out for. More than once I have arranged my outings around your forcast. There is one thing that I would like to see on the CBC site. There is a little overview of conditions for several NL towns on the right top of the CBC NL page but it never shows conditions for any south coast towns. I think maybe a Burin Pen. town like Marystown, for instance, and also maybe Burgeo should be there. I work in the US and always keep up with the news from CBC but I have to navigate to another page to get local conditions at home. You might know who to talk to to arrange this.

Cheers from Texas. It,s warm and sunny here by the way.

Ken

Posted by: Ken C. on March 29, 2009 10:19 PM

Submit your comments

All fields are required.

Name:
E-mail:

Enter your comments (up to 3000 characters) in the space provided.

Privacy Policy

Disclaimer:
By submitting your comments you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that due to the volume of e-mails we receive, not all comments will be published. But all will be carefully read, considered and appreciated.

Jobs | Contact Us | Permissions | Help | RSS | Advertise