U.S. military plane was on final trip when it crashed in Georgia, killing 9

An aging C-130 Hercules that rescued and resupplied U.S. citizens after last year's hurricanes crashed onto a highway in Georgia during what was supposed to be its final flight, killing all nine Puerto Ricans on board.

C-130 was from Puerto Rico, which official says has National Guard's oldest aircraft

A photo tweeted by the Savannah Professional Firefighters Association shows the tail end of a plane and a field of flames and black smoke as an ambulance stood nearby. (Savannah Professional Firefighters Association)

An aging C-130 Hercules that rescued and resupplied U.S. citizens after last year's hurricanes crashed onto a highway in Georgia during what was supposed to be its final flight, killing all nine Puerto Ricans on board.

The huge plane was being flown into retirement in Arizona, reducing Puerto Rico's National Guard fleet to five similar planes, two of which need maintenance and aren't being used, Adjutant Gen. Isabelo Rivera said. He said the aircraft was more than 60 years old.

"The planes that we have in Puerto Rico — it's not news today that they are the oldest planes on inventory" among all National Guard planes nationwide, and they often face delays in getting spare parts shipped to the island, he said.

However, Col. Pete Boone, vice-commander of the Savannah-based 165th Airlift Wing of the Georgia Air National Guard, said at a Thursday news conference that the plane's age was closer to 40 years. He said it had been in Savannah for "routine maintenance" and crashed after taking off for Arizona.

Flames and smoke rise from an Air National Guard C-130 cargo plane after it crashed on Wednesday. (James Lavine via Associated Press)

Boone also said the U.S. military has launched its investigation into the crash, and said investigators will "use every resource at our disposal to identify a cause."

The pilot was identified as Maj. Jose Rafael Roman, who hailed from the coastal town of Manati along Puerto Rico's north coast. The mayor of that town, Jose Sanchez, told The Associated Press that Roman had two sons and his wife is five months pregnant with a girl.

"The town is in mourning," Sanchez said. "My condolences to all Puerto Rican families."

Carlos Narvaez, a newspaper sports editor who was Roman's close childhood friend, told the AP that Roman was nicknamed "Rotor" because he loved all things with a motor that go fast. He said Roman was president of his high school class and worked at a company that manufactured aluminum windows before joining the National Guard in
the mid-2000s.

Pilot raised concerns

In December, Narvaez said Roman raised concerns about the age of the planes they were using.

"He told me, 'Jose, we're using the oldest planes of the entire United States of America,"' Narvaez recalled.

The plane dropped out of the sky onto Georgia's Highway 21 moments after taking off from Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport. Rivera said the plane last received maintenance at the military base in Savannah in April.

All nine crew members had helped with hurricane recovery efforts as part of the 198th Fighter Squadron, nicknamed the Bucaneros, which flies out of Base Muniz in the northern coastal city of Carolina, Rivera said. The squadron used the plane to rescue Americans from the British Virgin Islands after Hurricane Irma, and later supplied food and water to Puerto Ricans desperate for help after Hurricane Maria.

"The National Guard is an extended family," Rivera said as doctors, psychologists and chaplains gathered to meet with the victims' relatives.

The huge plane came down so hard that the only part still intact was its tail section, said Chris Hanks, a spokesperson for the Savannah Professional Firefighters Association. The fuselage appeared to have struck the median, and pieces of its wings, which spanned 40 metres, were scattered across lanes in both directions.

'No survivors'

The debris field stretched more than 180 metres across, Effingham County Sheriff's spokesperson Gena Bilbo said.

"It miraculously did not hit any cars, any homes," she said. Eight hours after the crash, she confirmed that "to our knowledge, there are no survivors."

Motorist Mark Jones told the Savannah Morning News that he saw the plane hit the road right in front of him, and explode in a huge fireball.

Smoke rises in the distance from the plane's wreckage near Savannah, Ga., on Wednesday. (Minh Phan via Associated Press)

"It didn't look like it nosedived, but it almost looked like it stalled and just went almost flat right there in the middle of the highway," Jones said.

"I'm still shook up and shaking. My stomach is in knots, because I know they're people just like me. I wasn't that far from it and I could have just kept going and it would have been me and we wouldn't be talking right now," Jones said.

The U.S. territory's Gov. Ricardo Rossello expressed his sadness, tweeting that "our prayers are with the families of the Puerto Rican crew."

U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted that he had been briefed on the crash, and sent "thoughts and prayers for the victims, their families and the great men and women of the National Guard."

Victims identified

Aside from the pilot, the Puerto Rico National Guard has said the other eight people killed in the crash were:

  • Maj. Carlos Perez Serra, the navigator, from Canovanas, Puerto Rico. He leaves his wife, two sons and daughter.
  • 1st Lt. David Albandoz, co-pilot, from Puerto Rico, who was recently residing in Madison, Ala. He is survived by his wife and daughter.
  • Senior Master Sgt. Jan Paravisini, a mechanic from Canovanas. He is survived by two daughters and son.
  • Master Sgt. Jean Audriffred, from Carolina, Puerto Rico. He is survived by his wife and two sons.
  • Master Sgt. Mario Brana, flight engineer, Bayamon, Puerto Rico. He is survived by his mother and daughter.
  • Master Sgt. Victor Colon, Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico. He is survived by his wife and two daughters.
  • Master Sgt. Eric Circuns, loadmaster, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. He is survived by his wife, two step-daughters and son.
  • Senior Airman Roberto Espada, Salinas, Puerto Rico. He is survived by his grandmother.