Istanbul bomb attacks kill 29, wound 166: interior minister
1st blast thought to be car bomb and 2nd appeared to be suicide bomber
Turkey's interior minister says twin blasts outside a soccer stadium in Istanbul have killed 29 people and wounded 166 others.
The attack, which appeared to have targeted police, struck shortly after the conclusion of a match late Saturday.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu says one of the blasts was thought to be a car bomb and the second appeared to have been caused by a suicide bomber.
In a address early Sunday, Soylu said 10 people had been arrested in connection with the attacks.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a statement saying "unfortunately we have martyrs and wounded."
Police cordoned off the area as smoke rose from behind the newly built Vodafone Arena Stadium, known colloquially as Besiktas Stadium after the local team and neighbourhood. Witnesses also heard gunfire after the explosions.
The first and larger explosion took place about 10:30 p.m. local time after the home team Besiktas beat visitor Bursaspor 2-1 in the Turkish Super League.
CBC in Istanbul
CBC correspondent Nil Koksal said from Istanbul that six or seven ambulances had raced past her location, and she's seen buses filled with heavily armed officers.
5th ambulance to pass us, coming up from blast scene. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/istanbul?src=hash">#istanbul</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cbc?src=hash">#cbc</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts">@CBCAlerts</a> <a href="https://t.co/8ilo1VOpgE">pic.twitter.com/8ilo1VOpgE</a>—@nilkoksalcbc
She said it wasn't yet clear who was responsible for the explosion.
This year Istanbul has witnessed bombings attributed by authorities to ISIS or claimed by Kurdish militants.
Television images showed more than a dozen ambulances on a street hugging the stadium and a police helicopter flying overhead with its searchlights on. The window glass of nearby buildings was shattered by the blasts and coated the pavement. Investigators, including Istanbul police Chief Mustafa Caliskan, were quickly on the scene.
The Besiktas sports club "strongly condemned" terrorism and the attack in a statement posted on its website.
Bursaspor said none of the wounded were fans and issued a statement saying "we wish a speedy recovery to our wounded citizens."
Turkey's radio and television board issued a temporary coverage ban citing national security concerns. It said "to avoid broadcasts that can result in public fear, panic or chaos, or that will serve the aims of terrorist organizations."
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim and Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin were also notified about the attack, Anadolu said.
With files from CBC's Nil Koksal