Top Libyan rebel slain by allied militia
NATO bombs Libyan state TV transmitters
The head of the rebel National Transitional Council says the rebel's chief military commander had been arrested for investigation into complaints of mismanaging his forces and was killed while being transported to a safer place.
Mustafa Abdul-Jalil dismissed earlier reports that Abdel-Fattah Younis had been killed earlier this week for treason. He told reporters Saturday that a committee is still investigating the circumstances of his death but the killers have been identified.
Witnesses have said they were killed by fellow rebels after being taken into custody on suspicion of treason.
Meanwhile, NATO warplanes bombed three Libyan state TV satellite transmitters in Tripoli overnight, targeting facilities that have been used to incite violence and threaten civilians, the military alliance said Saturday.
A series of loud explosions echoed across the capital before dawn. There was no immediate comment from Libyan officials on what had been hit, but state TV was still on the air in Tripoli as of Saturday morning.
NATO said the airstrikes aimed to degrade Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's "use of satellite television as a means to intimidate the Libyan people and incite acts of violence against them."
"Striking specifically these critical satellite dishes will reduce the regime's ability to oppress civilians while (preserving) television broadcast infrastructure that will be needed after the conflict," the alliance said in a statement posted on its website
It said Gadhafi's inflammatory TV broadcasts were intended to mobilize his supporters.
In addition to the three TV transmitters, during the past 24 hours alliance aircraft targeted military vehicles, radars, ammunition dumps, anti-aircraft guns, and command centres near the front lines in the east and west, NATO said in a statement.
The attempt to silence the government's TV broadcasts comes at a sensitive time for the rebels, who appeared to be in disarray after the mysterious death of Younis.
NATO too has been increasingly embarrassed by the failure of its bombing campaign, now in its fifth month, to dislodge Gadhafi's regime. With the fasting month of Ramadan due to start in August, there is growing realization within the alliance that the costly campaign will drag on into the autumn and possibly longer.
NATO had originally hoped that a series of quick, sharp strikes would quickly force Gadhafi to give up power. The alliance has carried out about 6,500 strike sorties and a total of 17,000 sorties since March.
Eight NATO members have been participating in air campaign in Libya: the U.S., Britain, France, Belgium, Canada, Norway, Denmark and Italy. They have carried out a total of more than 6,500 strike sorties.
But this coalition has been gradually fraying amid growing public opposition in Europe to the costs of the campaign — estimated at more than a billion euros — at a time of budget cuts and other austerity measures.
The United States was the first to limit its participation, deciding to only provide support to the European allies. Then Italy withdrew its only aircraft carrier and part of its air force contingent. Meanwhile, Norway has announced it will pull all of its F-16 warplanes out of the operation by Monday.