World

Sudan declares state of emergency

Sudan has declared a state of emergency in areas bordering South Sudan, giving authorities wide powers of arrest a day after they detained three foreigners in a flashpoint town along the frontier.

Tension rises in border dispute with South Sudan

Sudan declared a state of emergency Sunday in areas bordering South Sudan, giving authorities wide powers of arrest a day after they detained three foreigners in a flashpoint town along the frontier.

The detentions and state of emergency heightened tensions even further along border between the old rivals, who in the past month came to the brink of all-out war because of renewed fighting in disputed areas.

Sudanese officials have accused South Sudan of using foreign fighters during its assault on the oil-rich Heglig region, which Sudan claims. Southern Sudanese troops briefly captured the area, amid rising international concerns of an escalation in the fighting between the two countries.

South Sudan split from Sudan in July last year but the two countries have yet to agree on border demarcation and divvying up oil revenues and resources.

South Sudan invaded Heglig earlier this month, saying it belonged to the south. Sudan later retook the town; Sudanese forces say they pushed out the South Sudanese while South Sudan says its troops pulled out to avoid an all-out war. Sudan escalated matters by bombing South Sudan.

Military backgrounds

Sudanese army spokesman Col. Sawarmy Khaled claimed on state television late Saturday that four people arrested in the Heglig region — including a Briton, a Norwegian, a South African and a South Sudanese — had military backgrounds. He alleged they were carrying out military activities in Heglig, but did not elaborate. Khaled said the arrests prove his government's claims that South Sudan uses foreign fighters.

However, a representative for one of the three said Sunday that they were on a humanitarian mine-clearing mission.

In Oslo, a Norwegian humanitarian organization said Sunday that one of its employees had been detained while on a five-day mine-clearing mission in southern Sudan with the Briton and South African. The group denied John Soerboe was on a military mission and said he had been working for more than seven years to clear the region of mines.

The Norwegian People's Aid organization called Soerboe, 50, "one of our most experienced aid workers." Per Nergaard, the group's head of emergency preparedness, said Soerboe used to be in the Norwegian military years ago before turning to humanitarian work. He had been working in southern Sudan since 2005.