Sikh temple leader, police officers hailed as heroes

Sikh Temple of Wisconsin president Satwant Singh Kaleka fought back with all his strength and a simple butter knife, trying to stab a murderous gunman before taking two fatal gunshots to the leg.

Temple president wielded a butter knife against gunman

His community under attack, Sikh Temple of Wisconsin president Satwant Singh Kaleka fought back with all his strength and a simple butter knife, trying to stab a murderous gunman before taking two fatal gunshots to the leg.

Shot nine times and left for dead as he tended to a wounded victim outside, Oak Creek police Lt. Brian Murphy tried to wave off his colleagues' aid, insisting worshippers indoors needed their help more.

Wade Michael Page, in an undated photo provided by the FBI, was reportedly the man who shot and killed six people at a Sikh temple in the Milwaukee area. Page was shot by police and died. (M. Spencer Green/Associated Press)

Under fire in the temple parking lot, 32-year veteran Oak Creek police officer Sam Lenda took aim and shot back, downing the gunman who refused to drop his weapon after killing six people as they gathered for Sunday services.

Kaleka, Murphy and Lenda — one dead, one critically injured and one physically unharmed — are being hailed as heroes for saving lives in the shootings that sent more shock waves through the nation just two weeks after a gunman killed 12 people inside an Aurora, Colo., movie theatre.

Police say gunman Wade Michael Page, a 40-year-old army veteran and former leader of a white supremacist heavy metal band, unloaded a 9-mm handgun at the temple. They have not determined a motive.

What they have done is hailed the actions of those caught in the crossfire.

'Become active,' shooter urged

Gunman Wade Michael Page played in white supremacist heavy metal bands and posted frequent comments on internet forums for skinheads, repeatedly exhorting members to act more decisively to support their cause."If you are wanting to meet people, get involved and become active," he wrote last year. "Stop hiding behind the computer or making excuses."

Kaleka, 65, helped found the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in 1997 with a couple of dozen families. They met in rental halls as the congregation grew to about 1,000 before it moved into its current location five years ago.

Staring down the gunman Sunday morning, Kaleka managed to find the butter knife and tried to stab Page before being shot twice near the hip or upper leg, his son Amardeep Singh Kaleka said Monday.

His son said FBI agents hugged him Sunday, shook his hand and said, "Your dad's a hero."

"Whatever time he spent in that struggle gave the women time to get cover" in the kitchen, said Kaleka, whose mother was among more than a dozen women and children who took cover as Page forced his way into the temple. She dialed 911 while hiding.

Officer shot 9 times at close range

It took less than four minutes for Murphy, a 21-year veteran and native New Yorker who was a finalist to be chief two years ago, to arrive on the scene. He saw a victim lying in the parking lot and was tending to him when Page approached.

Page shot Murphy at "very close range" nine times, Oak Creek police Chief John Edwards said.

"He clearly was in a blaze of gunfire," said Dr. Gary Seabrook, director of surgical services at Froedtert Hospital, where Murphy and two other survivors were treated.

Temple shooting victims

The six people killed in the temple shooting have been identified as Satwant Singh Kaleka, 65, the temple president; Paramjit Kaur, 41, a mother of two; Suveg Singh Khattra, 84, a former farmer who moved from India in 1994 to join his son; Prakash Singh, 39, a Sikh priest and father of two; and Ranjit Singh, 49, and Sita Singh, 41, brothers and Sikh priests.

Moments after Murphy was shot, more officers arrived at the scene. Lenda was among them.

He and the other officers heard gunshots, but didn't know who had been hit. They did know that a man with a gun was walking toward them.

The officers ordered Page to stop, drop his weapon and put his hands up. Instead, Page fired at least two rounds, hitting one of the squad cars.

Lenda returned fire with his department-issued rifle, and Page went down.

Lenda and other officers radioed Murphy, who was supposed to respond with his badge number, but they didn't hear back.

They soon saw him lying on the ground.

"As they approached him, he waved them off. He had been shot nine times, one of them very serious in the neck area, and he waved them off and told them to go into the temple and assist those in there," Edwards said Monday.

Despite his pleas, officers removed Murphy from the scene, quickly carrying him to a squad car before entering the temple.

While Murphy remained hospitalized in critical condition Monday, Edwards said he was resting and surrounded by his family. Lenda did not wish to discuss the shootings Monday.

"Lenda does not consider himself a hero and is not interested in being a part of any story to that effect," said Jim Palmer, executive director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association. "He feels as though he was only doing his job."