Prince Philip back at King Edward VII's Hospital after heart procedure
Duke of Edinburgh, 99, has been hospitalized for more than 2 weeks
Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, has been transferred back to a private hospital after successfully undergoing a procedure to treat a heart condition, Buckingham Palace said on Friday.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who has been hospitalized for more than two weeks, was moved to a London hospital with a specialist cardiac centre on Monday for treatment for a pre-existing heart issue.
The palace said he had now returned to the private King Edward VII's Hospital where he was first admitted for treatment for an unspecified but non-COVID related infection.
"The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days," the palace said in a statement.
Since being admitted to hospital on Feb. 16, Philip has been publicly visited only by his son and heir Prince Charles.
The Queen, 94, has remained at Windsor Castle west of London, where the couple have been staying during the coronavirus pandemic, and has continued to carry out her official duties by video.
Retired in 2017
Philip's illness is not believed to be related to the coronavirus. Both Philip and the Queen received COVID-19 vaccinations in January and chose to publicize the fact in order to encourage others to also take the vaccine.
Philip retired in 2017 and rarely appears in public.
Although he enjoyed good health well into old age, Philip has had heart issues in the past. In 2011, he was rushed to a hospital by helicopter after suffering chest pains and was treated for a blocked coronary artery.
The longest-serving royal consort in British history, Philip married the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947. He and the Queen have four children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
His illness comes as the royal family braces for the broadcast on Sunday of an interview conducted by Oprah Winfrey with Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.
Meghan and husband Prince Harry quit royal duties last year and moved to California, citing what they said were the unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes of the British media.
With files from The Associated Press