Philippines death toll surpasses 3,600 as rebuilding begins

A spirit of resilience is evident in the Philippines as the residents of Guiuan and other battered towns start rebuilding their lives and those of their neighbours — with or without help from their government or foreign aid groups.

Typhoon Haiyan's aftermath leaves hundreds of thousands homeless

Food and clean water are finally reaching survivors of Typhoon Haiyan's rampage on the Philippines, but lasting relief is a long way off, Chris Brown reports 4:01


  • Death toll rises to 3,621, Civil defence agency chief says
  • Canada's Foreign Affairs had inquiries about 187 people; 55 not yet reached
  • As many as 600,000 left homeless
  • Canada's DART clears roads, provides drinking water

The knock of hammer on nail, the buzz of chainsaws, the swish of brooms clearing up debris from wrecked homes and yards: The sound of people putting their lives back together rings out across the devastated town of Guiuan.

A week after the typhoon struck the Philippines, there is immense need along this coast, much of it untouched by an aid effort that is struggling against clogged airports, blocked roads and a lack of manpower.

But amid the desperation, a spirit of resilience was clearly evident Friday as the residents of Guiuan and other battered towns started rebuilding their lives and those of their neighbours — with or without help from their government or foreign aid groups.

At 6 a.m. local time, Dionesio de la Cruz was hammering together a bed, using scavenged rusty nails. He has already built a temporary shelter out of the remains of his house.

"We're on our own, so we have to do this on our own," the 40-year-old said as his wife and mother slept on a nearby table. "We're not expecting anybody to come and help us."

Images of devastation

Watch CBC reporter Andrew Lee's footage above from the devastated streets of Tacloban, one of the cities hardest hit by Typhoon Haiyan.

The death toll, meanwhile, was raised Friday by disaster authorities to 3,621, up from the previous figure of 2,360. Some officials have projected that the eventual toll will top 10,000, after the missing are declared dead and remote regions are reached.

Authorities estimate some 600,000 people have been displaced by Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the islands of Samar and Leyte hardest. Most of those are likely to be homeless. Canada's Foreign Affairs department said it had inquiries about 187 people from families who believe their loved ones were in the affected areas. One hundred and thirty-two people have been reached and 55 have not; however, the 55 they haven't reached aren't necessarily missing given the damaged communications in the country. 

Along with food, water and medicine, aid groups will prioritize the distribution of tools, nails and other equipment to allow people like de la Cruz to make better shelters while more permanent solutions are considered.

Relief efforts are picking up, CBC's David Common reported from the city of Cebu.

"By that I mean what we saw when we arrived at the Cebu airport today: A dozen or more cargo jets from Israel, the Netherlands, American military aircraft that were dropping off huge numbers of supplies, pallet loads," he said.

Common said it's clear that Canada's Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) will be needed, particularly its helicopters, which arrive Sunday.

"The issue right now is that there's an awful lot of aid pouring into airports," he said. "It's just tricky to get it into the hands of those who actually need it. The devastation here is enormous. The issue, of course, is trying to reach everyone. That hasn't happened a week after the typhoon."

The sun sets on a devastated section of the city of Tacloban in the central Philippines. (Aaron Favila/Associated Press)

The team's commanding officer on the ground said the Canadian effort was based at the airport in the community of Iloilo, and Common reported some DART members had moved north to the city of Roxas.

The Canadian team includes medical personnel, but military officials say the initial work will fall to engineers who can open roads, repair basic infrastructure and provide clean drinking water.

There are 118 DART personnel on the ground, including 54 who arrived Friday. There are 70 more en route and more will be sent in the coming days and weeks, the Department of National Defence said.

Taylor said he has seen "significant destruction" in the country. 

"You can see where houses used to be … crops have been blown away, so the people are really at a loss not only for their homes but for their livelihoods." 

U.S. helicopters dropping water and food

In another sign that relief efforts were picking up, U.S. navy helicopters were flying from the aircraft carrier USS George Washington off the coast, dropping water and food to isolated communities.

The Philippine government — perhaps inevitably — has come under some criticism for its inability to get supplies out quicker.

"In a situation like this, nothing is fast enough," Interior Secretary Mar Roxas said in the Leyte capital, Tacloban, most of which was destroyed by the storm. "The need is massive, the need is immediate, and you can't reach everyone."

      1 of 0

      Back in the town of Guiuan, some 155 kilometres east of Tacloban, there were other signs of life emerging from the debris. One man was selling skewers of meat, a couple of kiosks are open selling soda and soaps. Everywhere, freshly washed clothes lay in sun, drying.

      While many have left this and other affected towns, some are choosing to stay and help.

      Take Susan Tan, a shop owner. She was all set to fly elsewhere in the country after hungry townsfolk swarmed her business a few days after the storm struck, stripping the shelves of everything of value.

      But a friend persuaded her to stay, and she is now running a relief centre from her shop, which has been in the family since the 1940s.

      "I can't just go to Cebu and sit in the mall while this place is in ruins," she said. "Although I've been looted and made bankrupt by this, I cannot refuse my friends and my town. We need to help each other."

      Tan managed to get her hands on a satellite phone from a friend who works for a local cellphone provider. Hundreds line up in the sun to use it to call relatives to let them know they are safe. One minute per caller is the house rule.

      On Thursday afternoon, she welcomed her first aid shipment. It's a fraction of what is needed, buts it's a start: 20 boxes containing dried noodles, canned goods, sardines, medicines, some bottle water.

      Guiuan was one of the first towns to be hit by the storm. It suffered massive damage, but casualty figures were lower than in Tacloban and some other towns because it was largely spared from storm surges.

      We cannot do anything, but will find a way to overcome this.- Luisa Bumanig, storm survivor

      In Tacloban, there were also some signs a battered population was beginning to get back on its feet — even as trucks carrying corpses drove through its streets on the way to a mass grave.

      The ornate tiled floor of a still-standing church was covered in mud as sunlight poured in through holes in the wind-peeled ceilings. Inside, people prayed while others swept dirt from the pews.

      Residents hauled debris into piles in the streets and set them on fire. Others were at work making frames for temporary homes.
      A man carries a sack of rice from a destroyed warehouse in Tacloban. The death toll spiked Friday, but there were small signs of recovery and resilience throughout the Philippines. (Edgar Su/Reuters)

      In one neighbourhood, dozens of people crowded around a mobile generator, where countless cords snaked across the dirt and into power strips. Residents plugged in mobile phones, tablets and flashlights, hoping for a precious gulp of electricity, even though cell coverage remained spotty.

      John Lajara was already thinking about replacing his old residence, which once had a pool table and a sea breeze. Now it's a trash heap.

      "We can't wait so I am building my house again," he said. "Back to zero."

      John Bumanig and his wife were cleaning out their second-hand clothes shop, which was swamped by storm surges. They were laying out ladies bras in the sun, though they weren't hopeful anyone would buy them. Most of the stock had to be thrown out.

      They were determined to stay in Tacloban, but faced an uncertain future.

      "We cannot do anything, but will find a way to overcome this," said his wife, Luisa, holding back tears. "We have to strive hard because we still have children to take care of."

      In Guiuan, a team of volunteers from elsewhere in the Philippines was clearing rubble from the road to the airport so that relief goods could get in quicker. Its leader, Peter Degrido, was trying to move an overturned passenger bus with a truck and steel cables.

      "It's devastating to see this. But people are slowly recovering," he said. "They've already moved most of the bodies."


      To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

      By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.