Pakistan bombings death toll rises to 120

The death toll from a series of deadly bombings across Pakistan rose today to 120, police said, marking one of the deadliest days the country has seen in years.

Police say attacks marked one of the country's deadliest days in years

A man on Friday takes a photograph with his mobile phone of a house which was damaged by Thursday's bomb blast in Quetta, Pakistan. The death toll from a series of bombings in two Pakistani cities on Thursday, one of the bloodiest days in the country's history, has reached 120, police said Friday. (Naseer Ahmed/Reuters)

The death toll from a series of deadly bombings across Pakistan rose today to 120, police said, marking one of the deadliest days the country has seen in years.

The attack prompted those in the Shia community in Quetta, a southwestern Pakistani city hit by the brutal terror attack, to refuse to bury their dead Friday in protest, demanding that the government do something to protect them from what has become a barrage of bombings and shootings against the minority Muslim sect.

Most of the dead were Shia Muslims killed in twin bombings at a billiards hall — a frightening reminder that Sunni extremists are increasingly targeting them.

Members of the beleaguered Shia community in Quetta laid about 50 of their dead out in the street Friday, saying they would not bury them until the government improves security in the area. Young Shia men also set tires on fire and blocked a nearby road in protest.

"We want safety for our all sects, and all security measures should be taken for our safety, said Fida Hussain, a relative of one of the victims. "We will not bury them until the government fulfills all our demands."

Twin bombings targeted neighbourhood gathering spot

The strike was the worst of three deadly bombings targeting Shias and soldiers in Quetta, capital of the volatile Baluchistan province, and worshippers at a Sunni mosque in the northwest on the same day.

It appeared to be Pakistan's worst day of violence since October 2007, when 150 were killed in a bombing aimed at Pakistani politician Benazir Bhutto. She survived the blast but was assassinated two months later.

Five people who were wounded in the twin bombings at the billiards hall late Thursday died of their wounds overnight, said Quetta senior police official Hamid Shakeel, putting the death toll from that attack at 86.

The billiards hall bombing, in a Shia area of the city, started with a suicide attack followed by a car bomb minutes later. Militants often use such staggered bombings to maximize the body count by targeting rescuers and others who rush to the scene after the first explosion to help.

On Friday, Shia volunteers erected tents to keep bystanders away from the severely-damaged building, where the pool hall once occupied the basement.

'It was a scene like hell on earth'

Nearby resident Jan Ali described it as a neighbourhood gathering spot where young and old often waited in line to play on its six tables. He rushed to the scene Thursday night after the blast.

"It was a scene like hell on earth," said Ali. "Rescue people were carrying out dead and injured, people bleeding and crying, and rushing them toward ambulances. I have never seen such a horrifying situation in my life."

One of those killed in the carnage was a young human rights activist named Irfan Ali.

"He was a very active, energetic activist," said Tahir Hussain, a lawyer and vice chairman of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan's Baluchistan chapter. He said Ali had been associated with the HRCP for the last ten years, often writing about social issues and oppression of the Shia Hazara community. Shia Hazara migrated from Afghanistan more than a century ago and have been the targets of dozens of attacks over the past year, but Thursday's was by far the bloodiest.

Ali appeared to have been killed during the second explosion after he rushed to the scene to help, said Hussain. On his Twitter feed before his death, Ali wrote about Hazara families who were leaving the area in fear.

Militant groups claim responsibility

Many residents railed at the government for the repeated acts of violence.

"This government has totally failed in protecting us," said Abbas Ali, who was collecting items from the rubble of his nearby shop, also destroyed in the blast. "Somehow we will get compensation for our losses but those who have gone away will not come back."

Pakistan's minority Shia Muslims have increasingly been targeted by radical Sunnis who consider them heretics. Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a Sunni militant group with strong ties to the Pakistani Taliban, claimed responsibility for Thursday's attack.

Last year was the bloodiest year for Pakistan's Shia community in living memory, said Human Rights Watch in a press release Thursday. According to the organization over 400 Shia were killed in targeted attacks in 2012; over 120 of them died in Baluchistan.

In the other incident in Quetta, a bomb hidden in a bag went off near a vehicle carrying paramilitary soldiers elsewhere in the city, killing 12 people and wounding more than 40 others.The United Baluch Army, a separatist group, claimed responsibility for the attack in calls to local journalists.

The third blast Thursday targeted a mosque in the northwestern Pakistani city of Mingora, killing 22 people and wounding more than 70. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for that explosion.