World

Ohio gunman's parents apologize for 'insensitive' obituary ignoring attack

The parents of the Dayton, Ohio, gunman have apologized for wording in his obituary that didn't mention the mass shooting that left nine people dead, including his younger sibling.

Funeral home took obituary down on Wednesday

A woman kneels near candles and flowers placed outside a bar in Dayton, Ohio, on Aug. 5, a day after a mass shooting left nine people dead in the city's entertainment district. (Megan Jelinger/AFP/Getty Images)

The parents of the Dayton, Ohio, gunman have apologized for wording in his obituary that didn't mention the mass shooting that left nine people dead, including his younger sibling.

Stephen and Moira Betts issued a statement that said the obituary for Connor Betts was "insensitive in not acknowledging the terrible tragedy that he created."

They said they wanted to reflect the son they knew and weren't trying to "minimize horror of his last act."

The obituary described the 24-year-old as a "funny, articulate and intelligent man with striking blue eyes and a kind smile" before it was taken down Wednesday by a funeral home in their hometown of Bellbrook, Ohio.

Betts opened fire in a popular entertainment district in Dayton on Aug. 4, killing nine people and wounding at least 17 by gunfire. Police say officers shot and killed Betts just outside the doors of a crowded bar.

It's not known whether Betts targeted his sibling. They had spent an hour together at a bar in the same area before the shooting.

The family will be holding private memorial services for both of their children.

Mourners console each other after a mass in the chapel on the campus of Saint Francis University to celebrate the life of Nicholas Cumer last week in Loretto, Pa. Cumer was a graduate student and was among those killed in the Dayton shooting. (Keith Srakocic/The Associated Press)

Ethan Kollie, a longtime friend of the Betts, told investigators he bought the body armour, a 100-round magazine and a key part of the gun Betts used in the attack. Kollie will be in court Thursday after a judge balked at releasing him from jail.

Authorities have said there's no indication Kollie knew Betts was planning the mass shooting. But Kollie is charged with lying on a federal firearms form while buying a pistol not used in the shooting.

Prosecutors said Kollie first spoke with investigators just hours after the shooting.

Kollie's attorney wants him released on house arrest.

A judge has been reviewing where Kollie would stay under house arrest with electronic monitoring and other conditions.

Cocaine, alcohol found in shooter's system

A Montgomery County coroner also announced his preliminary findings into the Dayton mass shooting on Thursday.

Kent Harshbarger said during a news conference that all fatal gunshot wounds to the nine victims came from Betts's weapon — not from police. Two people that Betts shot on Aug. 4 were also shot by police, but none of those shots were lethal, Harshbarger added.

He said Betts was shot by police about 24 times, and was wounded mostly in his upper torso and lower extremities.

Dayton police Chief Richard Biehl said the goal of police was to end the violence on the night of the shooting. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Dayton police Chief Richard Biehl said the goal of police in the Aug. 4 mass shooting was to "immediately stop the killing."

The coroner said cocaine, antidepressants and alcohol were found in Betts's system at the time of the shooting. A pipe device and a clear baggie carrying cocaine was found on his body.

The amounts of each each substance in his system were not detailed.

Authorities are still investigating the motive for the mass shooting.

now