World

NATO's Libya air campaign to end Monday

NATO announces it will end its air campaign over Libya on Monday, after the UN Security Council decided to lift the no-fly zone and end military action to protect civilians.

Canada will continue helping Libyans, PM Harper says

Canadian CF-18 fighter jets wait to refuel from a British VC-10 tanker aircraft over the Mediterranean Sea off Libya on July 10, 2011. (David Brunnstrom/Reuters)

NATO says it will end its air campaign over Libya on Monday, after the UN Security Council decided to lift the no-fly zone and end military action to protect civilians.

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Friday the operation was "one of the most successful in NATO history," one which was able to wind down quickly following the death of former Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.

Monitoring air patrols are expected to continue until Monday to ensure there are no more threats to civilians.

NATO's 26,000 sorties, including 9,600 strike missions, destroyed about 5,900 military targets since they started on March 31.

In a statement released Friday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper once again commended the Libyan people and praised members of the Canadian Armed Forces who took part in the mission.

"The Canadian Armed Forces were instrumental in mission success, flying over some 1500 military missions," Harper said in a statement.

"While our military mission in Libya has come to an end, Canada will continue helping Libyans by supporting their efforts to build a brighter and better future for themselves."

Canada had previously said it would contribute $10 million to help secure weapons of mass destruction and arms stockpiles in Libya.

 

With files from CBC News

now