Mohamed Fahmy's trial adjourned again in Cairo
Court had been expected to deliver verdict for Fahmy and two other Al Jazeera journalists
A Cairo court session for the re-trial of Canadian journalist Mohamed Fahmy has been adjourned until August 2.
Fahmy told CBC News he is frustrated by yet another delay in his court case. Fahmy and his co-accused Baher Mohamed had arrived at a Cairo court this morning expecting to hear the verdict in their case.
- Mohamed Fahmy, Canadian journalist on bail in Cairo, braces for Thursday verdict
- CBC's The Fifth Estate | The Mohamed Fahmy Story: 400 Days
- Amal Clooney wants Stephen Harper to 'pick up phone' to free Mohamed Fahmy
Fahmy and Mohamed were told there would be no hearings today.
"It's just mind boggling the way they continue to play with our emotions here," Fahmy said to The Canadian Press. "It's very hard on everyone."
Can someone tell me if the trial is postponed until August 2 or 8? We are still clueless and no official announcement! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FreeAJStaff?src=hash">#FreeAJStaff</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Egypt?src=hash">#Egypt</a>—@MFFahmy11
"We were standing outside the court with the press corps surrounding us ... and suddenly we were just escorted away from the vicinity of the area and we were left there with no information at all."
"We are extremely angry that the verdict has been adjourned today," Al Jazeera Media Network's spokesperson tweeted on @AJENews.
Egyptian authorities accused Fahmy, Mohamed, and Peter Greste, an Australian journalist who has since been deported, of spreading false news and of supporting the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood. The three men worked for Al Jazeera's English network in Egypt.
Suez Canal speculation
Fahmy said there was speculation that the delay could be tied to the opening of the Suez Canal in Egypt on Aug. 6 or because the judge in the case was ill.
"They don't want any publicity before that very big day in Egypt," Fahmy said. "Others are saying the judge is sick. We don't know what's happening. It's very insulting."
However, Egyptian judicial officials who spoke to The Associated Press said the verdict has been postponed because the judge Hassan Farid is ill. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they weren't authorized to talk to reporters.
"It's incredible the way this has been handled," added Fahmy. "I would have hoped for at least an official statement or announcement from the government."
Canadian Minister of State for Consular Affairs Lynne Yelich said the government is "deeply concerned over Mr. Fahmy's current situation and disappointed by the continued delay in his trial."
"Canada calls on the Egyptian government to use all tools at its disposal to resolve Mr. Fahmy's case and allow for his immediate return to Canada," Yelich said in a statement. "We ask that all branches of the Egyptian government work together in a concerted manner to address the situation of Mr. Fahmy."
Fahmy announces marriage
The 41-year-old journalist also said that he and his fiancée, Marwa Omara, announced their marriage to the reporters gathered outside the court and showed off their wedding rings.
"We got married this week and we couldn't celebrate because we were very anxious," he said. "I wanted to complete the marriage before the verdict because if we were married, Marwa could easily visit me in prison and get more visitation hours."
Fahmy said his new bride has received a temporary visa to Canada and they were planning on "jumping on a plane to Vancouver as soon as this ordeal is over."
But said Fahmy: "The verdict is a week away, we just have to wait again. More waiting, what do we do?"
Fahmy has maintained innocence
Fahmy's troubles began in December 2013 when he was working as the Cairo bureau chief for Qatar-based satellite news broadcaster Al Jazeera English.
He and two colleagues were abruptly arrested and charged with a slew of offences, including supporting the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, a banned organization affiliated with ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi, and with fabricating footage to undermine the country's national security.
The trio maintained their innocence throughout, saying they were just doing their jobs, but after a trial which was internationally decried as a sham, they were found guilty and sentenced to prison terms.
One of the three men — Greste — was suddenly allowed to leave Egypt before their retrial began, under a law which allows for the deportation of foreign nationals convicted of crimes.
Fahmy gave up his dual Egyptian citizenship while behind bars in the hopes that he could follow the same path, but that didn't happen. He was, however, granted bail in February shortly after his second trial got underway.
Fahmy moved to Canada with his family in 1991, living in Montreal and Vancouver for years before eventually moving abroad for work, which included covering stories for the New York Times and CNN.
with files from CBC News, Reuters