Michael Brown shooting: Police delay public ID of officer who shot teen

President Barack Obama says that while the shooting death of a Missouri teenager has prompted "strong passions," people should remember Michael Brown through "reflection and understanding," while reaffirming a Justice Department probe.

Obama, Sharpton urge for reflection, peaceful protests

The Rev. Al Sharpton pressed police Tuesday to release the name of the officer who fatally shot an unarmed teenager in suburban St. Louis, and he pleaded for calm after two nights of violent protests over the young man's death.

Police said death threats prompted them to withhold the name of the officer, who was placed on paid administrative leave after fatally shooting 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., where the incident has stoked racial tension, rallies and a night of looting.

Police had originally said they would identify the officer on Tuesday.

"If we come out and say, 'It was this officer,' then he immediately becomes a target. We're taking the threats seriously.- Tom Jackson, Ferguson police chief

Witnesses have said the officer was white and Brown was black. The shooting has prompted violent protests in Brown's community.

Investigators have released few details, saying only that a scuffle unfolded after the officer asked Brown and another teen to get out of the street. At some point, the officer's weapon fired inside a patrol car, police said.

"The local authorities have put themselves in a position — hiding names and not being transparent — where people will not trust anything but an objective investigation," Sharpton during a news conference in St. Louis where he was joined by Brown's parents.

He also echoed pleas for peaceful protests by the NAACP and Brown's father, Michael Brown Sr., who told the crowd: "I need all of us to come together and do this right. ... No violence."

State governor appears at community forum

President Barack Obama also urged calm, saying people must comfort each other "in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds."

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon told a standing-room only crowd at a community forum Tuesday night that the shooting feels "like an old wound torn fresh" in a nation still struggling with race relations.

The forum, held at a church, was organized as an alternative response to two nights of unrest in which more crowds have burned stores, vandalized vehicles assaulted reporters and taunted officers. Ferguson's mayor and police chief also attended the meeting and were welcomed with applause.

Earlier in the day, Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said he had planned to release the officer's name Tuesday but changed course after death threats were called into the police department and City Hall and posted on social media. Jackson said it could be weeks before he releases the name.

Community organizers, including NAACP leaders, called for peaceful, but active, protests in Ferguson. (Scott Olson/Getty)

"If we come out and say, 'It was this officer,' then he immediately becomes a target," Jackson said. "We're taking the threats seriously."

The officer had been on a routine patrol when he encountered the two young men, Jackson said.

The Ferguson police force has 53 officers, three of which are black. Jackson said the city has had trouble recruiting and retaining black officers.

More than three dozen people have been arrested in two nights of unrest in which crowds have burned stores, vandalized vehicles assaulted reporters and taunted officers.

"People are tired. They have reached the end of their rope," Ruth Latchison Nichols said after a town meeting Monday night hosted by the NAACP. "Enough is enough. This is a state of emergency."

The fullest account of Brown's death so far has come from Dorian Johnson, who said he was walking home from a convenience store with Brown when the two were approached by an officer in a squad car who, using expletives, ordered them to move to the sidewalk.

In the hours after the shooting, Johnson told news crews that he and Brown had kept walking and explained to the officer they were near their destination. The officer then reversed his car "to where it almost hit us."

The officer, Johnson said, tried to open his door, but he was so close to the men that it "ricocheted" back, apparently upsetting the officer.

Johnson said the officer then reached through the window, "grabbed my friend around the neck" and tried to pull him into the car. The officer then reportedly pulled out his weapon and said, ''ll shoot you,' or ''m going to shoot,"' Johnson said.

When the officer opened fire, Brown was hit and started to bleed, Johnson said. Johnson ran to hide behind a car.

Brown "kept running, and he told me to keep running because he feared for me, too," Johnson said.

Family attorney calls for any videos

Johnson said the officer pursued Brown with his weapon drawn and fired again.

When Brown felt that shot, he turned around and put his hands in the air and started to get down on the ground. But the officer kept firing, Johnson said.

"And my friend died. He didn't say anything to him. He just stood over and he's shooting."

Authorities have not commented directly on Johnson's account.

Another witness, Phillip Walker, told The Associated Press he was on the porch of an apartment complex overlooking the scene when he saw a white officer with Brown, who was "giving up in the sense of raising his arms and being subdued."

Walker said the officer then "stood over him and shot him."

Police have said there is no security or police video of the confrontation.

The family's attorney, Benjamin Crump, has asked anyone with video of the shooting to come forward. Crump also represented relatives of Trayvon Martin, the 17-year-old fatally shot by a Florida neighbourhood watch organizer who was later acquitted of murder charges.

"I don't want to sugarcoat it," he said Monday. "[Brown] was executed in broad daylight."

St. Louis County police are leading the investigation, and the Federal Aviation Administration agreed to order flight restrictions over Ferguson to give police helicopters unfettered access to that airspace.

The FAA said the action, effective until Monday, would not delay traffic at nearby Lambert-St. Louis International Airport.

With files from CBC News