Police to release man in custody over slaying of Bulgarian journalist

Bulgarian police say they will soon release a man hours after he was taken into custody Tuesday in connection with the slaying of Bulgarian TV reporter Viktoria Marinova, whose body was found barely a week after she highlighted possible government corruption.

Viktoria Marinova's body found barely a week after she highlighted possible government corruption

Viktoria Marinova, a Bulgarian TV journalist, is the third journalist murdered in the European Union in a year. Her body was found in a park in the northern city of Ruse, near the Danube River, on Saturday. (TVN RUSE/EPA-EFE)

Bulgarian authorities said Tuesday no charges will be laid against a man taken into custody in connection with the slaying of Bulgarian television reporter Viktoria Marinova, whose body was found barely a week after she highlighted possible government corruption.

The man, who wasn't identified, would be freed "very shortly," said Teodor Atanassov, chief police officer of the northern town of Ruse. He declined to provide further details about the ongoing investigation.

Police are investigating the rape and slaying of Marinova, 30, who was strangled. Her body was found Saturday near the Danube River. Marinova hosted a show last month featuring two investigative journalists who were detained for their work on suspected fraud involving European Union funds.

The Interior Ministry said late Monday that prosecutors had opened an investigation into GP Group, a large private Bulgarian building company alleged to have misused the EU money, and froze $21 million of its assets.

Interior Minister Mladen Marinov and Bulgaria's leading organized crime investigator, Ivaylo Spiridonov, are part of the investigating team.

While Marinova did not appear to have been closely involved in the fraud investigation, her show touched on a sensitive subject in Bulgaria, where corruption is endemic. The Balkan nation joined the EU in 2007 and was ranked 71st on Transparency International's corruption list last year. Joining the bloc opened enormous possibilities for new EU funding for Bulgarian infrastructure projects or other programs designed to bring the nation up to EU standards.

International calls for answers

Journalists' groups and European leaders expressed shock at Marinova's murder.

Margaritis Schinas, spokesperson for European Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker, said Monday the commission expected "a swift and thorough investigation ... that will bring those responsible to justice and clarify whether this attack was linked to her work."

The German government also sharply condemned the slaying, with the Foreign Ministry saying it was imperative "that there's a fast investigation and that this horrible event will be illuminated as comprehensively as possible."

The U.S. Embassy in Bulgaria also said it was shocked by the "horrific murder."

A woman places flowers next to a portrait of Marinova during a vigil in Ruse on Monday. (Vadim Ghirda/Associated Press)

Bulgarian Interior Minister Mladen Marinov insisted Monday there was no evidence to suggest the killing was linked to Marinova's work.

Marinova was a director of TVN, a TV station in Ruse, and a TV presenter for two investigative programs.

Her final show on Sept. 30 was about Attila Biro, an investigative journalist with the Rise Project Romania, and Dimitar Stoyanov from the Bulgarian investigative site The two men were briefly detained Sept. 13 south of Sofia as they investigated a tip that documents connected to suspected fraud involving EU funds were being destroyed. owner Assen Yordanov said he couldn't directly link Marinova's slaying to her work, but noted her show tackled "our very sensitive investigation into the misuse of EU funds."

"This is a topic on which no other Bulgarian national media dared to report on," he told The Associated Press.

Biro told the AP he had never met Marinova — he said one of her colleagues had interviewed him and Stoyanov about their work.

"They are on the right path, but let's see how the investigation proceeds," he said.

With a file from Reuters