Malaysia Airlines MH370 suspected debris may have sunk, Australia says
Indian Ocean search continues for objects picked out by satellite images 5 days ago
- Objects may have slipped to bottom of Indian Ocean
- Australian planes with sonar leading the search
- High winds expected over search area on the weekend
- Chinese, Japanese planes to join search efforts
The international team hunting for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean has not turned up anything so far, and Australia's deputy prime minister said the suspected debris may have sunk.
Aircraft and ships have renewed a search in the Andaman Sea between India and Thailand, going over areas that have already been exhaustively swept to find some clue to unlock one of the most inexplicable mysteries in modern aviation.
- The challenges of a remote ocean search
- WATCH: MH370 passengers' families wait and hope
- Malaysia Airlines: Canadian passenger's ties to India's ruling class
The Boeing 777 went missing almost two weeks ago off the Malaysian coast with 239 people aboard. There has been no confirmed sign of wreckage, but two objects seen floating deep south in the Indian Ocean were considered a credible lead and set off a huge hunt on Thursday.
One object is reported to be 24 metres in length, the other 4.5 metres.
Australian authorities said the first aircraft to sweep treacherous seas on Friday in an area about 2,500 kilometres southwest of Perth returned to base without spotting the objects picked out by satellite images five days ago.
"Something that was floating on the sea that long ago may no longer be floating," Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss told reporters in Perth. "It may have slipped to the bottom."
"It's also certain that any debris or other material would have moved a significant distance over that time, potentially hundreds of kilometres," he said.
But the search will continue — and Australian, New Zealand and U.S. aircraft will be joined by Chinese and Japanese planes over the weekend.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority said six aircraft will take part in the search of the 36,000 square kilometre area on Saturday, including three P-3 Orion maritime surveillance planes from Australia, one from New Zealand and two long-range commercial jets.
"A huge amount of resources will be ascending onto the area in the next few days ... showing the seriousness of the find," freelance journalist Gary Sansome told CBC News, reporting from Perth, where Australia launched its search operation.
"China will send five ships, three search aircraft and three helicopters. Japan will send two Orion airplanes."
The U.S. said Friday that it is a considering a request from Malaysian Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein to provide undersea surveillance equipment to help with the search.
U.S. Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said in a statement that he would "assess the availability and utility of military undersea technology for such a task and provide him an update in the very near future."
Object could be shipping container, PM says
"It's about the most inaccessible spot that you can imagine on the face of the Earth, but if there is anything down there, we will find it," Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told reporters in Papua New Guineau, where he is on a visit.
"Now it could just be a container that's fallen off a ship. We just don't know, but we owe it to the families, and the friends and the loved ones to do everything we can to try to resolve what is as yet an extraordinary riddle."
Five aircraft, including some equipped with sonar to spot items underwater, were looking for the objects. They left Perth for the four-hour journey and spent roughly two hours at the site, but found nothing of importance.
The search was hindered by low cloud cover and rain when it began. The skies cleared on Friday, but freelance reporter Roger Maynard, reporting from Sydney, told CBC News that in the next day or two, "a strong front will come through, with strong winds, and the ocean will be rough again."
India said it was sending two aircraft, a Poseidon P-8I maritime surveillance aircraft and a C-130 Hercules transporter, to join the hunt in the southern Indian Ocean. It was also sending another P-8I and four warships to search in the Andaman Sea, where the plane was last seen on military radar on March 8.
In New Delhi, officials said the search in areas around the Andaman island chain was not at the request of Malaysian authorities co-ordinating the global search for the airliner.
"All the navies of the world have SAR regions," said Capt. D.K. Sharma, an Indian navy spokesman, referring to search and rescue regions. "So we're doing it at our own behest.
"We're doing it on our own because the Malaysian plane is still missing."
Investigators suspect Flight MH370, which took off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing shortly after midnight on March 8, was deliberately diverted thousands of miles from its scheduled path. They say they are focusing on hijacking or sabotage but have not ruled out technical problems.
The search for the plane also continues in other regions, including a wide arc sweeping northward from Laos to Kazakhstan.
In the Indian Ocean, three Australian P-3 Orions joined a high-tech U.S. Navy P-8 Poseidon and a civilian Bombardier Global Express jet to search the 23,000-square-kilometre zone, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said.
- WATCH: Adrienne Arsenault: The mysterious case of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370
- INTERACTIVE: The search for Malaysia Airlines MH370
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: How airlines can lose a plane
- ZOOM: Satellite images show possible debris from Malaysia Airlines MH370
A Norwegian merchant ship, the Hoegh St. Petersburg, was diverted to the area on Thursday and was still searching there and another vessel would arrive later on Friday.
China's icebreaker for Antarctic research, Xuelong, or Snow Dragon, will set off from Perth to search the area, Chinese state news agency Xinhua cited maritime authorities as saying. Up to five more Chinese ships were steaming toward the search zone from across the Indian Ocean, Xinhua reported.
Australian authorities said they had not asked for the ships to search the area. About two-thirds of the missing plane's passengers were Chinese nationals.
Several false leads
There have been many false leads and no confirmed wreckage found from Flight MH370 since it vanished off Malaysia's east coast less than an hour after taking off.
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: what's needed to find it
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: How to make a crisis worse
- Malaysia Airlines affair raises security concerns over passport trafficking
- INTERACTIVE: Planes that have vanished without a trace
There has also been criticism of the search operation and investigation, as more than two dozen countries scramble to overcome logistical and diplomatic hurdles.
Investigators piecing together patchy data from military radar and satellites believe that, minutes after its identifying transponder was switched off as it crossed the Gulf of Thailand, the plane turned sharply west, re-crossing the Malay Peninsula and following an established route towards India.
- Key developments in Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 search
- Explore the massive search effort for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370
- How could Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 fall off the radar?
What happened next is unclear, but faint electronic "pings" picked up by one commercial satellite suggest the aircraft flew on for at least six hours.
A source with direct knowledge of the situation said that information gleaned from the pings had been passed to investigators within a few days, but it took Malaysia more than a week to narrow the search area to two large arcs - one reaching south to near where the potential debris was spotted, and a second crossing to the north into China and central Asia.
With files from CBC News