Madoff son found dead in NYC: police

One of Bernard Madoff's sons was found dead Saturday after an apparent suicide, according to a law enforcement official.

One of Bernard Madoff's sons was found dead Saturday after apparently committing suicide, according to a law enforcement official.

Mark Madoff, 46, was found hanged in his apartment in Manhattan's SoHo neighbourhood, according to the official. A family member notified police around 7:30 a.m. ET.

"It was an apparent suicide," New York City police spokesman Paul Browne told Reuters news agency.

Bernard Madoff exits Manhattan federal court in New York in this March 10, 2009, file photo. A law enforcement official said his son, Mark, was found dead in his New York City apartment on Saturday. ((Louis Lanzano/Associated Press))

Mark Madoff and his brother, Andrew, were under investigation but hadn't faced any criminal charges in the massive Ponzi scheme that led to their father's jailing.

Bernard Madoff swindled a long list of investors out of billions of dollars and is serving a 150-year prison term in North Carolina.

The scandal put a harsh light on members of the swindler's family. The financier's brother, Peter, played a prominent role in the family's company. Mark and Andrew Madoff both worked on a trading desk at the firm, on a side of the business that wasn't directly involved in the Ponzi scheme.

A year ago, the court-appointed trustee trying to unravel Madoff's financial affairs sued several members of the family, including the brothers, accusing them of failing to detect the fraud while living lavish lifestyles financed with the family's ill-gotten fortune.

The lawsuit accused Mark Madoff of using $66 million US he received improperly to buy luxury homes in New York City, Nantucket and Connecticut.

In February, Mark Madoff's wife petitioned a court to change her last name, saying her family had gotten threats and was humiliated by the scandal.

A call to Mark Madoff's attorney and his father's attorney was not immediately returned Saturday. Calls to the FBI and U.S. Attorney's office were also not immediately returned.