Chinese landslide buries buildings, 91 reported missing
Area of more than 6 hectares was covered with up to 6 metres of mud, no deaths confirmed yet
- List of missing climbs to 91 from 27, though no deaths reported as yet
At least 91 people were missing Monday, a day after a massive landslide buried dozens of buildings when it swept through an industrial park in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen.
The official Xinhua news Agency said the landslide buried 33 buildings in the industrial park in Shenzhen, a major manufacturing centre in Guangdong province across the border from Hong Kong.
Xinhua said that as of Monday morning 59 men and 32 women were missing in the landslide.
Xinhua said an area of more than six hectares were covered with up to six metres of mud, according to geological experts at the site.
Li Yikang, the deputy secretary general of the Shenzhen city government, said at a televised news conference that more than 900 people had been evacuated. He said that nearly 1,500 people were involved in rescue efforts.
State broadcaster China Central Television, or CCTV, said that there was a residential area next to the industrial zone, and that the buildings buried included two workers' dormitories.
Ren Jiguang, the deputy chief of Shenzhen's public security bureau, told CCTV that most people had been moved to safety before the landslide hit.
The Beijing Youth Daily, citing a local resident, reported that the soil that slid down on to the area had been piled up against a 100-metre-high hill after being dug up in the past two years during construction work.
State media carried photos of what looked like at least one five-storey building leaning over and partly crumpled in the industrial park, and a sea of brown soil covering a vast area around it.