Kenya mall attack: Toronto-born teen treated in Canada

A Toronto-born teen wounded in last week's Kenya mall attack is now in Canada and recovering in a Toronto hospital, CBC has learned.

Westgate Mall siege left 67 dead, including 2 Canadians

Toronto-born teen Fardosa Abdi, right, 17, survived the mall attack in Nairobi last week and is in Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital undergoing treatment. The hospital will not confirm if her sister, Dheeman, left, is in the hospital or if she is receiving any treatment. (Courtesy Hodan Hassan)

A Toronto-born teen wounded in last week's Kenya mall attack is now in Canada and recovering in a Toronto hospital, CBC has learned.

Fardosa Abdi, 17, is in the emergency room at Sunnybrook Hospital. She was wounded along with her 16-year-old sister, Dheeman, last week when gunmen from the al-Qaeda-linked group al-Shabaab stormed the Westgate Mall in Nairobi.

Several friends and family members were in the Sunnybrook Hospital waiting room with Fardosa, CBC's Charlsie Agro reports.

The hospital will not confirm what treatment she is receiving. It is expected to update the media on her condition Monday morning after they speak to the family, which they haven't yet done.

The hospital will not confirm whether Dheeman is also in Toronto or if she is receiving any treatment at Sunnybrook.

Kenyans frustrated by lack of updates

Meanwhile, Kenya's security services made another arrest Sunday in connection with the deadly Westgate mall attack in Nairobi, a top official said, but declined to say how authorities believe the person was involved in the siege.

Kenya has arrested 12 people since the attack but three have been freed, Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said during a press conference. He declined to say if any of those arrested had been in the mall during the attack.

Investigators have also identified a car used by the gunmen, from the Somalia-based Islamist group al-Shabaab, and found in it "an assortment of illegal weapons," said Lenku.

The four-day siege, which included the collapse of part of the mall, left 67 people dead, according to officials. The Red Cross says 59 people remain missing, though the government puts that number at zero.

Kenyans have become increasingly frustrated over the government's unwillingness to share information about the attack. Almost no details have been released about what happened after the first hours of the siege.

      1 of 0

      "We ask you to bear with us," he said, of the government's unwillingness to share information.

      While the mall was a chaotic scene for many hours after the attack began, with people moving in and out of the upscale shopping center, Lenku insisted no terrorists could have escaped.

      "Our forces sealed off every point of exit," he said. "It was completely secured."

      Earlier Sunday, about 200 Kenyan Muslims held a rally near the mall to remember the dead and call for peace.

      "We condemn the terror attack on Westgate Mall," said one sign. "One Country. One People. One Love. Kenya Asia Muslims," said another.

      Many of those at the rally were from Kenya's "Asian" community, the descendants of people who came from colonial India — what is now India, Pakistan and Bangladesh — to work in Kenya more than a century ago.

      With files from CBC's Charlsie Agro, The Associated Press


      To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

      By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.