Katrina refugees to be scattered across 28 states
Refugees from Hurricane Katrina could soon be scattered across 28 states, ranging as far west as Oregon and California, and north to Indiana, Illinois and Michigan.
About 240,000 are in Texas with almost 60,000 in Arkansas, more than 50,000 refugees are still in Louisiana.
As of Labour Day, here's where they were, or soon will be:
- TEXAS: 139,000 hurricane refugees in 137 shelters. Another 100,000 in hotels.
- ARKANSAS: At least 59,000 refugees in Arkansas. That number could increase to 70,000 or 100,000 -- that would be about 3 percent of the state's population.
- LOUISIANA: More than 50,000 refugees.
- ALABAMA: About 3,000 people in shelters but 25,000 to 30,000 elsewhere, most in hotels or with relatives and friends.
- SOUTH CAROLINA: The state was prepared for up to 18,000 refugees.
- MISSISSIPPI: More than 17,000 refugees in shelters, an untold number of others in hotels, churches and private homes.
- TENNESSEE: Nearly 13,000 refugees, and that number could double. More than 10,000 people have gone to Memphis.
- MICHIGAN: Willing to accept up to 10,000 people.
- NEW MEXICO: Room for up to 6,000 hurricane victims, the first 1,000 to be housed at Albuquerque Convention Center.
- MINNESOTA: Prepared to host up to 5,000 evacuees for a year or longer.
- MASSACHUSETTS: Up to 2,500 refugees at National Guard Base.
- OKLAHOMA: Nearly 2,000 evacuees, with as many as 3,000 more expected.
- ARIZONA: Room for up to 1,800 refugees in Phoenix and Tucson.
- PENNSYLVANIA: Prepared to take up to 1,200 refugees.
- COLORADO: Up to 1,000 refugees, some at a dormitory on the former Lowry Air Force Base.
- OREGON: Room for up to 1,000 people.
- CALIFORNIA: Willing to accommodate up to 1,000 refugees.
- GEORGIA: More than 900 evacuees in 12 shelters.
- WISCONSIN: Room for more than 900 refugees at dormitory in suburban Milwaukee.
- FLORIDA: Nearly 800 people in 14 emergency shelters.
- KANSAS: About 750 refugees so far.
- MISSOURI: More than 500 people at Red Cross shelters. Between 500 and 1,000 families staying with friends and relatives.
- WEST VIRGINIA: Up to 500 people could be housed at National Guard camp.
- ILLINOIS: Up to 500 refugees.
- NORTH CAROLINA: About 470 refugees expected in Charlotte.
- UTAH: About 450 refugees in Salt Lake City.
- OHIO: At least 120 refugees, with hundreds more expected later.
- INDIANA: About 60 evacuees in former dormitory at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.