World

Survivors of Afghanistan hotel attack recount ordeal

Survivors of the Taliban attack on Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel gave harrowing accounts Monday of the 13-hour weekend standoff that claimed 18 lives, including 14 foreigners.

Natives of Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Venezuela among 18 dead in weekend attack

Afghan security forces stand guard at the entrance gate of the Intercontinental Hotel a day after an attack in Kabul. (Omar Sobhani/Reuters)

Survivors of the Taliban attack on Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel gave harrowing accounts on Monday of the 13-hour weekend standoff that claimed 18 lives, including 14 foreigners.

The siege ended Sunday with Afghan security forces saying they had killed the last of six Taliban militants who stormed the hotel in suicide vests late the previous night, looking for foreigners and Afghan officials to kill.

More than 150 people, including 41 foreigners, were rescued or managed to escape. Eleven of the 14 foreigners killed were pilots and employees of KamAir, a private Afghan airline. A statement by KamAir later said some of its flights were disrupted because of the attack.

Six Ukrainians, two Venezuelan pilots for KamAir and a citizen of Kazakhstan were among those killed.

Maria Adebahr, a spokesperson for the German Foreign Ministry, confirmed that a German was among those killed, without providing further details.

Mohammad Humayun Shams, the telecommunications director of eastern Laghman province, was visiting Kabul and staying at the hotel. He said he was able to escape by jumping into a tree from a hotel window as the attackers roamed the hallways, killing people.

"It was the worst night of my life," Shams said, adding that as he ran, he couldn't tell the attackers apart from the police because they were all wearing the same uniforms.

Noorullah, an Intercontinental Hotel employee, receives treatment at a hospital in Kabul on Monday. (Mohammad Ismail/Reuters)

Two Greek pilots who were in Afghanistan to train local airline pilots said they survived the attack by hiding in their rooms — one inside a hollow he had cut in his mattress and the other in his bathtub.

Vassilis Vassiliou and Michalis Poulikakos were in the hotel restaurant when gunmen burst in through a kitchen service door. They dashed up to their rooms and hid, following emergency instructions they had been given.

"We overturned the mattresses and messed up the rooms, then opened the balcony doors to make it look as if we had escaped that way," Poulikakos told Greece's private Skai TV on Monday.

"I hid in the bathtub. Nobody entered my room, I was very lucky and it all ended after nine hours," he said. "I was on the fourth floor. Vassilis was on the fifth and he was the only survivor on that floor, there were many more survivors on my floor."

Vassiliou said he spent 13 hours hidden under — and inside — his mattress, and managed to stay undiscovered even as gunmen used his balcony as a firing position.

"They broke down my door and burst in. I had managed to slip under the bed. There were three of them in the room, one went onto the balcony, the other shot at the other bed and lifted it up," he said.

Cut open, hid inside a mattress

When the gunmen had used up their ammunition they set fire to the fifth floor and disappeared for about an hour and a half. Vassiliou went out to the balcony and realized that there was no escape there — he even came under fire from forces besieging the hotel.

"So I went back into the room and used a small pair of scissors to cut an opening for myself inside the mattress and remained there," he said. That protected him from the heat and the smoke from the fire burning outside his room.

"I don't know why but I was very calm. It was as if something told me that I would live," Vassiliou said.

He said he had shut down both his mobile phones to avoid being betrayed by their ringing, which led authorities to believe he had been killed. He remained in the room from about 9 p.m. to noon the next day, when the gunmen finally ran out of ammunition and left.

"I heard English being spoken and came out of my mattress," he said.

Vassiliou added that security forces took an inexplicably long time to reach his floor.

"They would open every door, I heard voices, a couple of shots, and then laughter. They were undisturbed, nobody tried to stop them, and I think that was a big mistake," he said.

On Monday, Afghan security forces remained positioned on all the roads leading to the hotel, barring everyone from the area.

Jawad Zia, director of the hotel, which is not part of the Intercontinental chain, said dozens of hotel rooms were damaged in the attack.

"We have damaged rooms in each floor of the hotel," he told The Associated Press.

Among Afghans killed in the attack was a telecommunications official from western Farah province, Afghanistan's newly appointed consul general to the Pakistani city of Karachi and an employee of the High Peace Council, a commission created to facilitate peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban and other opposition groups.

Along with Shams, five other hotel guests, including a foreigner, managed to jump into the tree. From there, they climbed down to the ground and Shams called the police with his mobile.

They were told to stay put until the police came to take them away, hours later.

"I am still in shock ... in fact can't believe I am alive" he added.

now