Police fire tear gas, water cannon to disperse protesters in Hong Kong's Kowloon area

Anti-government protesters set fire to shops and hurled gasoline bombs on Sunday, police said, after riot police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse thousands in the Tsim Sha Tsui harbourfront hotel district of Kowloon in Hong Kong.

Protesters hurl gasoline bombs after police fire tear gas to clear rally

There was a large presence of riot police Sunday in Tsim Sha Tsui district in the Kowloon area of Hong Kong. (Anthony Kwan/AFP via Getty Images)

Anti-government protesters set fire to shops and hurled gasoline bombs on Sunday, police said, after riot police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse thousands in the Tsim Sha Tsui harbourfront hotel district of Kowloon in Hong Kong.

The protesters, many in all-black clothing and face masks now banned under a resurrected British colonial-era law, had gathered to denounce perceived police brutality during more than four months of often-violent unrest in the Chinese-ruled city.

There was a standoff as dusk fell with protesters, bemused tourists and passersby gathered on the pavements of the shopping and hotel artery of Nathan Road, which police had earlier cleared in slow-moving cordons.

Riot police stood outside the Chungking Mansions highrise — known for its discount hostels, shops and restaurants — shields and batons at the ready. Protesters shouted obscenities in colourful Cantonese at "black police," referring to their perceived overuse of force.

Pro-democracy protesters attend a rally in the Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon in Hong Kong on Sunday. (Anthony Wallace/AFP via Getty Images)

"Fight for Hong Kong!" protesters shouted, "five demands, not one less," a reference to demands for universal suffrage and an independent inquiry into police actions, among other things.

Police later moved away, leaving protesters, pedestrians and tourists alike to take over the street under the neon lights. Then one water cannon moved in, firing high into the air and down side-streets.

Police said protesters later hurled gasoline bombs at a police station in Sham Shui Po, northwest of Tsim Sha Tsui, and set fire to shops in Jordan, north along Nathan Road from the harbour.

Hong Kong's Tsim Sha Tsui district, the scene of Sunday's street protest, is a busy shopping and hotel area popular with tourists. (Anthony Kwan/Getty Images)

"Some attacked police officers with hard objects and umbrellas," police said in a statement. "Some hurled smoke bombs at MTR [metro] exits."

Reuters witnesses saw two MTR entrances on fire in Mong Kok.

The number of protesters had grown by the minute earlier in the afternoon, streaming down Nathan Road to the water's edge, in front of the dramatic backdrop of Hong Kong island, but many fled after the tear gas and pepper spray were fired.

Ambulances took one man away on a stretcher. The need for treatment was not immediately clear.

Police detained some protesters as they gathered in a rally that had not received official permission. The crowds at the waterfront had largely dispersed after a couple of hours and headed north up Nathan Road, where many luxury brand shops closed their shutters, toward the neighbourhoods of Jordan and Mong Kok.

A man reacts to pepper spray during an anti-government protest in Hong Kong's tourism district of Tsim Sha Tsui on Sunday. (Kim Kyung-Hoon/Reuters)

The rallying cry of the protesters was also for the protection of "Muslims, journalists and the people."

A police water cannon fired bursts of blue-dyed water at a small group of people outside a Nathan Road mosque during protests last weekend, drawing criticism from some in the Muslim community. There was a large crowd of police outside the mosque on Sunday.

'No to totalitarianism'

Billy, 26, a salesman who did not want to give his full name, said he turned out on Sunday because he was angry at the spraying of the mosque a week earlier.

"Hong Kong people, regardless of our religion ... we come here to say no to our totalitarian government," he told Reuters, adding he wanted to protest peacefully. "I have a little bit of fear … because our police sometimes they are uncontrollable, and they threaten the safety of our people."

Vick, 26, a social worker standing outside Chungking Mansions, said he was there in solidarity with South Asians.

A firefighter extinguishes fire burning at an entrance to Mong Kok MTR Station, just north of Tsim Sha Tsui district, during anti-government protests Sunday. (Kim Kyung-Hoon/Reuters)

"We would like to express our sympathy, and our discontent with the Hong Kong police and the Hong Kong government," he said. "We would like the government to make the police more just and less violent."

Cindy Chu, 65, a retired nurse, said the police used to be a force for good.

"It's so simple. They are disturbing the Hong Kong people," she said. "And what for? What authority do they have to do that? It's Hong Kong, not China."

She too was wearing a face mask.

Pro-democracy activists have in recent weeks attacked police with gasoline bombs and rocks and slashed one officer in the neck with a knife. Police have responded with tear gas, water cannon, rubber bullets and occasional live rounds, wounding several protesters and a few journalists.

Weeklong lull in clashes with police

Police deny accusations of brutality, saying they have shown restraint in life-threatening situations. There had been a weeklong lull in clashes.

Protesters are angry about what they view as creeping Chinese interference in Hong Kong, a former British colony that returned to Chinese rule in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" formula intended to guarantee freedoms not seen on the mainland.

China denies meddling. It has accused foreign governments, including the United States and Britain, of stirring up trouble.

Financial Secretary Paul Chan said on his blog that the quarter-on-quarter contraction recorded in the three months ending in June had extended into the third quarter.

Two successive quarters of contraction are the technical definition of a recession.

He said the economy had come under strain on all fronts. "The true remedy was for all quarters in society to stop violence, return to rational dialogue and seek a way out," he said.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.