Church compensates sex abuse victims
The archdiocese in Louisville, Ky., has agreed to pay $25.7 million US to nearly 250 people who allege they were sexually abused by priests and other church staff.
This is the largest settlement provided by the Roman Catholic Church to sex abuse victims.
In making his announcement, Archbishop Thomas Kelly told victims Tuesday night that, "no child should ever have had experienced what happened to you."
"I promise we are doing everything possible to prevent child abuse in the Church," he said. "I apologize again for what we did or failed to do that led to your abuse."
Over the past 14 months, lawsuits were placed against the archdiocese from people who claim they were sexually abused as children. They also claim the archdiocese concealed the abuse and did nothing to stop it.
The Rev. Louis Miller, the retired priest at the forefront of the scandal, was sentenced last month to 20 years in prison for decades of sexual misconduct against children.
Two other priests are awaiting trial.