World

China explosions: Residents whose homes damaged in Tianjin demand compensation

About a hundred people whose residences were damaged in the massive Tianjin, China, blasts gathered Monday for a protest to demand compensation from the government as the death toll from the disaster rose to 114 with 70 still missing.

Death toll rises to 114 with 70 still missing

      1 of 0

      About a hundred people whose residences were damaged in the massive Tianjin, China, blasts gathered Monday for a protest to demand compensation from the government as the death toll from the disaster rose to 114 with 70 still missing.

      The blasts lasts Wednesday night originated at a warehouse for hazardous material, where hundreds of tonnes of sodium cyanide — a toxic chemical that can form combustible substances on contact with water — were being stored in amounts that violated safety rules. That has prompted contamination fears and a major cleanup of a 3-kilometre-radius, cordoned-off area in the Chinese port city southeast of Beijing.

      An injured resident evacuated from her home after last week's explosions in Tianjin, China, takes part in a rally on Monday demanding government compensation. (Kim Kyung-Hoon/Reuters)

      Chinese work safety rules require such facilities to be at least 1,000 metres away from residences, public buildings and highways. But online map searches show the Ruihai International Logistics warehouse was within 500 metres of both an expressway and a 100,000-square-metre apartment complex. Those apartments had walls singed and windows shattered, and all the residents have been evacuated.

      "We victims demand: Government, buy back our houses," said a banner carried by the residents at a protest outside the Tianjin hotel where officials have held daily news conferences about the disaster. "Kids are asking: How can we grow up healthy?" read another banner.

      Tianjin officials have been hard-pressed to answer how the warehouse was allowed to operate in its location. Questions also have been raised about management of the warehouse, and the country's top prosecuting office announced Sunday that it was setting up a team to investigate possible offences related to the massive blasts, including dereliction of duty and abuse of power. Ruihai's general manager is in hospital under police watch.

      Sodium cynanide was stored at blast site

      Bian Jiang, a resident of one of the nearby housing complexes, said he was asleep when the first explosion struck last Wednesday night, shortly before midnight.

      "Twenty seconds later I heard the second explosion and saw the rising mushroom cloud. Then, I was thrown out of bed by the force of the blast. I was wondering if we would able to get out alive," he said, adding that his home is now ruined. "All the windows are gone."

      Chemicals on the ground can create poisonous aerosols when combined with water, and the weather forecast isn't good 3:50

      On Sunday, authorities confirmed there were "several hundred" tonnes of the toxic chemical sodium cyanide on the site at the time of the blasts, although they said there have not been any substantial leaks. Authorities also said they had sealed all waterways leading into the sea from the blast site.

      Sodium cyanide is a toxic chemical that can form a flammable gas upon contact with water, and several hundred tonnes would be a clear violation of rules cited by state media that the warehouse could store no more than about 9 tonnes at a time.

      Tianjin officials have ordered a citywide check on any potential safety risks and violation of fire rules, mandating suspension of operations for factories that cannot immediately comply with safety rules. Chinese Premier Li Keqiang was in Tianjin on Sunday, visiting those injured and displaced by the disaster.

      Deadly disaster for firefighters

      The death toll includes at least 21 firefighters — making the disaster the deadliest for Chinese firefighters in more than six decades — and their toll could go much higher because 64 remain missing. About 1,000 firefighters responded to the disaster.

      About a hundred people whose residences were damaged in the massive Tianjin blasts gathered Monday for a protest to demand compensation from the government. (Paul Traynor/Associated Press)

      The public has raised concerns about whether firefighters were put into harm's way in the initial response to the fire and whether the hazardous material — including compounds combustible on contact with water — was properly taken into account in the way the firefighters responded.

      The massive explosions late Wednesday night happened about 40 minutes after reports of a fire at the warehouse and after an initial wave of firefighters arrived and, reportedly, doused some of the area with water.

      The Tianjin blasts are among the deadliest industrial accidents in China in recent years. In June 2013, a fire at a poultry plant in the northeastern province of Jilin killed 121 people. In August 2014, a dust explosion at a metal plant in the eastern province of Jiangsu left 97 people dead.

      Comments

      To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

      By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

      now