World

Dramatic video from wife's cellphone shows moments before and after fatal Charlotte shooting

The family of a black man fatally shot by police in Charlotte, N.C., on Friday released its own video of the encounter that sparked three days of protests, and they continued to urge officials to release their own recordings of the slaying.

WARNING: This story contains graphic imagery and language

This screenshot, taken from video, in full below, shows Keith Lamont Scott on the ground after being shot by police.

Video of a deadly encounter between Charlotte, N.C., police and a black man shows his wife repeatedly telling officers he is not armed and pleading with them not to shoot her husband as they shout at him to drop a gun.

The footage, recorded by Keith Lamont Scott's wife and released Friday by his family, offers a raw look at how the situation unfolded but does not show whether Scott had a gun as police have said. Uncertainty about the case prompted a fourth night of demonstrations through Charlotte's business district.

After darkness fell, dozens of people carried signs and chanted to urge police to release dashboard and body camera video that could show more clearly what happened. Police have said Scott was armed, but witnesses say he held only a book.

The 2 1/2-minute video released by the family does not show the shooting, though gunshots can be heard. In the video Scott's wife, Rakeyia Scott, tells officers that he has a TBI, or traumatic brain injury. At one point, she tells her husband to get out of the car so police don't break the windows. She also tells him, "don't do it," but it's not clear exactly what she means.

As the encounter escalates, she repeatedly urges police, "You better not shoot him."

After the gunshots, Scott can be seen lying face-down on the ground while his wife says "he better live." She continues recording and asks if an ambulance has been called. The officers stand over Scott. It's unclear if they are checking him for weapons or attempting to give first aid.

In the footage, Scott's wife states the address and says, "These are the police officers that shot my husband."

WARNING: This video contains graphic imagery and language

Graphic warning: Dramatic cellphone video at Charlotte, N.C. shooting

6 years ago
Duration 2:20
Keith Scott family lawyers release wife's video of incident to media

Representatives for the police department and the mayor's office didn't return emails from The Associated Press seeking comment on the family's video.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said Friday that there is footage from at least one police body camera and one dashboard camera.

The family of Scott, 43, was shown the footage Thursday and demanded that police release it to the public. The video recorded by Scott's wife had not been previously released.

State Attorney General Roy Cooper also called on Charlotte officials to release the video, saying doing so would help bring the community and law enforcement together. Cooper, a Democrat, is running for governor in November.

Charlotte is the latest U.S. city to be shaken by protests and recriminations over the death of a black man at the hands of police, a list that includes Baltimore, Milwaukee, Chicago, New York and Ferguson, Missouri. In Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Thursday, prosecutors charged a white officer with manslaughter for killing an unarmed black man on a city street last week.

Smaller protests

Dozens of demonstrators were out in Charlotte for a fourth night of protests after the shooting of a black man by a police officer.

Several dozen people gathered Friday night at a park and then marched through Charlotte's business district with signs.

One marcher had a sign that said "Just Stop The Killing," while another had a banner that said "Just Release the Tapes." Protesters have sought the release of police footage of the shooting earlier this week of Keith Lamont Scott by a police officer.

They were watched by National Guard members posted in front of many downtown buildings.

Three previous nights of protests included two that were chaotic. But Thursday, people marched through downtown in a largely peaceful protest.

Hundreds of people are also marching in downtown Atlanta to protest the recent fatal shootings.

Marchers took to the streets after a rally at the National Center for Civil and Human Rights museum Friday evening. Many held signs reading "Black Lives Matter" and chanted "We're ready, we're ready for y'all."

NAACP state President Francys Johnson and lawyer Mawuli Mel Davis led the protest. No police were present, but volunteers walked ahead of demonstrators and blocked off intersections for marchers.

Curfew in effect

Thursday's protests in Charlotte lacked the violence and property damage of previous nights, and a curfew enacted by the city's mayor encouraged a stopping point.

Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts signed documents to keep the curfew in effect from midnight until 6 a.m. each day until the state of emergency declared by the governor ends.

After the curfew took effect, police allowed the crowd of demonstrators to thin without forcing them off the street. Police Capt. Mike Campagna told reporters that officers would not seek to arrest curfew violators as long as they were peaceful.

Putney said Friday that releasing the footage of Scott's death could inflame the situation. He has said previously that the video will be made public when he believes there is a "compelling reason" to do so.

"It's a personal struggle, but I have to do what I think is best for my community," Putney said.

During the same news conference, Roberts said she believes the video should be released, but "the question is on the timing."

Dozens arrested

Earlier in the week, the Charlotte protests turned violent, with demonstrators attacking reporters and others, setting fires and smashing windows of hotels, office buildings and restaurants.

Forty-four people were arrested after Wednesday's protests, and one protester who was shot died at the hospital Thursday. City officials said police did not shoot 26-year-old Justin Carr. A suspect was arrested, but police provided few details.

Putney said he has seen the video and it does not contain "absolute, definitive evidence that would confirm that a person was pointing a gun." But he added: "When taken in the totality of all the other evidence, it supports what we said."

Justin Bamberg, an attorney for Scott's family, said it's "impossible to discern" from the videos what, if anything, Scott is holding in his hands.

Scott never aggressively approached officers and was shot as he walked slowly backward with his hands by his side, Bamberg said.

Clinton postpones visit

Hillary Clinton's campaign says she has decided to postpone her planned trip to Charlotte on Sunday after hearing from community leaders.

Clinton announced earlier Friday that she would travel to Charlotte in the aftermath of the shooting.

But Clinton's campaign now says that after further discussions with community leaders, the Democratic presidential nominee will postpone the trip to avoid straining the city's resources.

Clinton's decision came after Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts told CNN that Clinton should postpone her visit because the city's security resources were stretched thin.

Clinton now plans to visit Charlotte on Oct. 2.

now