Bodies of slain Canadians leave Kandahar base
The bodies of two Canadian soldiers killed earlier this week while serving in Afghanistan are on their way home to Canada.
Hundreds of Canadian, American, Dutch, and British soldiersstood on the Kandhar Airfield Thursday to bid farewell to Cpl. Albert Storm and Chief Warrant Officer Robert Girouard.
The two mendiedMonday in a suicide bomb attack on the outskirts of Kandahar.
Armoured vehicles, similar to what the soldiers were in when they died, served as makeshift hearses.
Apiper played Amazing Grace as the flag-covered coffins were carried onto a Hercules C-130 aircraft for the flight home.
The soldiers were killed when their Bison armoured personnel carrier was struck by a car loaded with explosives. They were members of the Royal Canadian Regiment, based in CFB Petawawa, Ont.
A number of soldiers offered remembrances of their comrades.
Cpl. William Guse, a medic, says he's a better soldier for having had Girouard as his platoon warrant officer in battle school.
Cpl. Victor Thibault, who served with Storm in Kosovo, says his friend was good-natured, a hard worker, an exceptional soldier and will be missed.
The blast, the first deadly attack on Canadians in six weeks, happened in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar province. Mostof the more than 2,000 Canadians in Afghanistan are deployed in Kandahar.
Panjwaii is considered a Taliban stronghold and has been the scene of fierce fighting between NATO soldiers and Taliban militants in recent months.
Forty-four Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have been killed in Afghanistan since the mission began in 2002.
With files from the Canadian Press