Ashoka Mupko, NBC cameraman with Ebola, returns to U.S.

An American photojournalist who contracted Ebola while working in Liberia arrived Monday in Nebraska, where he will be treated for the virus that haed West Africa.

Specially-equipped plane shuttling photojournalist to medical facility in Nebraska

NBC cameraman with Ebola arrives back in the U.S.

8 years ago
Duration 5:07
Diana Mukpo, the mother of Ashoka Mukpo, updates her son's condition

An American video journalist who contracted Ebola while working in Liberia has arrived at a Nebraska hospital, where he will be treated for the deadly disease.

Ashoka Mukpo, 33, arrived by ambulance Monday at the Nebraska Medical Center, where he will be kept in a specialized biocontainment unit built specifically to handle this type of illness.

Mukpo was working in Liberia as a freelance cameraman for NBC News when he became ill last week. He is the fifth American sickened with Ebola to return to the U.S. for treatment during the latest outbreak, which the World Health Organization estimates has killed more than 3,400 people.

Meanwhile, a Liberian man with Ebola who started showing symptoms while visiting the U.S. is in critical condition at a Dallas hospital.

Mukpo's father, Dr. Mitchell Levy, told a news conference in Omaha, Neb., that his son looked "strong" when he got off the airplane earlier in the day. While it is not clear how Mukpo become infected, Levy it may have happened when he was cleaning a vehicle in which someone had died.

Doctors at the isolation unit — the largest of four in the U.S. — are evaluating Mukpo to determinine how to treat him. They said they will apply the lessons learned while treating American aid worker Rick Sacra, who was allowed to return home to Massachusetts after three weeks, on Sept. 25.

Sacra received an experimental Tekmira Pharmaceuticals drug called TKM-Ebola, as well as two blood transfusions from another American aid worker who recovered from Ebola at an Atlanta hospital. The transfusions are believed to help a patient fight off the virus because the survivor's blood carries antibodies for the disease. Sacra also received supportive care, including IV fluids and aggressive electrolyte management.

Sacra was admitted to UMass Memorial Medical Center on Saturday after he came in complaining about a cough and low-grade fever and was put in isolation as a precaution. The hospital said weekend test results came back negative for Ebola, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that Sacra's symptoms weren't caused by the virus.

In Dallas, another man who recently travelled to the U.S. from Liberia was listed in critical condition Sunday. Thomas Eric Duncan has been hospitalized at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital since Sept. 28. Dr. Tom Frieden, the CDC's director, said he was aware that Duncan's health had "taken a turn for the worse," but he declined to describe Duncan's condition further.

The virus that causes Ebola is not airborne and can only be spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids — blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen — of an infected person who is showing symptoms.

Duncan arrived in Dallas on Sept. 20 and fell ill a few days later. Officials say 10 people definitely had close contact with Duncan and a further 38 may have been around him when he was showing symptoms of the disease.