Justin Trudeau's redesigned cabinet
Federal cabinet gets younger, more diverse - and records a couple of firsts
Things to know about the new cabinet
The regional representation in cabinet shifts slightly away from Western Canada, as the demotion of MaryAnn Mihychuk, formerly minister for employment, workforce development and labour, removes one cabinet minister from Manitoba.
There are now seven cabinet ministers from Western Canada, as well as seven from Quebec and four from Atlantic Canada.
Ahmed Hussen, an MP for a Toronto riding, increases Ontario's representation in the cabinet to 12.
Other things to know about how this shuffle changes the make-up of the Liberal cabinet:
- Chrystia Freeland is the first female foreign affairs minister since Barbara McDougall, who held the portfolio from 1991 to 1993.
- Hussen is the first Somali-Canadian MP and the first to hold a cabinet seat.
- The average age of the three out-going ministers is 63, while the average age of the three new cabinet ministers is 39.
- The average age of the cabinet is now about 50 years old, two years younger than it was before the changes.
- As was the case before the shuffle, there are 15 women and 15 men in cabinet.
- Karina Gould, 29, is the youngest female cabinet minister in Canadian history.
List of the updated Canadian order of precedence:
- The Right Honourable Justin P. J. Trudeau — Prime Minister
- The Honourable Ralph Goodale — Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
- The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay — Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
- The Honourable Carolyn Bennett — Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs
- The Honourable Scott Brison — President of the Treasury Board
- The Honourable Dominic LeBlanc — Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
- The Honourable Navdeep Singh Bains — Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
- The Honourable William Francis Morneau — Minister of Finance
- The Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould — Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada
- The Honourable Judy M. Foote — Minister of Public Services and Procurement
- The Honourable Chrystia Freeland — Minister of Foreign Affairs
- The Honourable Jane Philpott — Minister of Health
- The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos — Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
- The Honourable Marc Garneau — Minister of Transport
- The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau — Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
- The Honourable James Gordon Carr — Minister of Natural Resources
- The Honourable Mélanie Joly — Minister of Canadian Heritage
- The Honourable Diane Lebouthillier — Minister of National Revenue
- The Honourable Kent Hehr — Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence
- The Honourable Catherine McKenna — Minister of Environment and Climate Change
- The Honourable Harjit Singh Sajjan — Minister of National Defence
- The Honourable Amarjeet Sohi — Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
- The Honourable Maryam Monsef — Minister of Status of Women
- The Honourable Carla Qualtrough — Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities
- The Honourable Kirsty Duncan — Minister of Science
- The Honourable Patricia A. Hajdu — Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour
- The Honourable Bardish Chagger — Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister of Small Business and Tourism
- The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne — Minister of International Trade
- The Honourable Karina Gould — Minister of Democratic Institutions
- The Honourable Ahmed D. Hussen — Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
With files from Éric Grenier