Politics

Refugees to Canada delayed last year as money ran low

A memo sent to all Canadian diplomatic missions last November asked them to find people who could be held back from arriving in Canada until 2015 because there were too many refugees in the pipeline and the budget for resettlement was running dry.

Syrian refugees exempted from plan; number of refugees held back not counted

A Burundian refugee child is pictured on the shores of Lake Tanganyika in Kagunga village in Kigoma region in western Tanzania, as the refugees wait for MV Liemba to transport them to Kigoma township, May 18, 2015. A memo sent to all Canadian diplomatic missions last November asked them to find people who could be held back from arriving in Canada until 2015 because there were too many refugees in the pipeline and the budget for resettlement was running dry. (Thomas Mukoya/Reuters )

The federal government sought to delay the arrival of refugees last year because it was running out of money.

A memo was sent to all Canadian diplomatic missions last November asking them to find people who could be held back from arriving in Canada until 2015 because there were too many in the pipeline and the budget for refugee resettlement was running dry.

But Syrian refugees were exempted from the plan, according to documents obtained under the Access to Information Act.

"We are running into the problem (an enviable one in some ways) of hitting up against the limit of the [resettlement assistance program] budget we can spend this year," Emina Tudakovic, a senior official at immigration headquarters in Ottawa, wrote to all missions handling refugee cases.

"In general, we are looking at rescheduling travel for any [government-assisted refugees] that you possibly can for 2015 ... with the exception of Syria cases," she added.

The request went out as the government was coming under fire for its seemingly slow response to the Syrian refugee crisis.

$54.9M resettlement budget

In 2013, the Conservatives pledged to resettle 1,300 Syrian refugees by the end of 2014 in response to a global call from the United Nations for assistance handling what's been deemed the world's single largest refugee crisis for almost a quarter of a century.

Most were to be settled by the private sector, with the government taking on the financial and logistical responsibilities of settling 200 people.

But by the time the memo was sent in November 2014, less than 500 Syrians in total had actually arrived in Canada and the Conservatives were facing daily calls both from the opposition and the public to speed up the files and also make room for more.

Local resident Israa holds her sister Boutol as they make their way through rubble of damaged buildings in the Douma neighborhood of Damascus March 4, 2015. (REUTERS/Bassam Khabieh)

The refugee resettlement assistance program has a $54.9-million budget, according to the Citizenship and Immigration department.

"When it became clear that more funds would be needed to assist the very generous movement of [government assisted refugees] last year, CIC reallocated resources from within existing reference levels to meet the needs of eligible arrivals," Nancy Caron, a spokeswoman for the Citizenship and Immigration department, said in e-mail.

The department did not answer questions about whether the Syrian commitment was the reason the budget was maxing out, nor how many people from elsewhere were held back, saying that those decisions were made by local missions and statistics were not available.

"Logistics can sometimes require small numbers of people to wait, but these decisions are made locally and always with the best interests of the people involved taken into consideration," Caron said.

She added: "we can say with full confidence that no one to whom we are providing refuge from ISIL had to wait."

Two years late on resettlement commitment

Recently released statistics show 7,574 refugees were admitted last year, a record-high for the Conservatives. The previous two years saw historic lows in part because of the closure of the Canadian embassy in Damascus which had been handling the lion's share of refugee resettlement for the Middle East.

A Syrian refugee reacts as he waits behind border fences to cross into Turkey at Akcakale border gate in Sanliurfa province, Turkey, June 15, 2015. (Umit Bektas/Reuters)

Still, it took until March 2015 for the government to meet its 2013 commitment to the 1,300 refugees, which it did by sponsoring more through government channels than it had intended.

In January of this year, they committed to resettling a further 10,000 over the next three years, saying that approximately 60 per cent would be sponsored by private groups and 40 per cent would be sponsored by the government.

The department is refusing to say how many have since arrived in Canada and will only make the statistics available for a fee.

As of this month, the number of refugees fleeing the conflict in Syria to neighbouring countries has passed four million, according to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees. 

With files from CBC News

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.