Blanchet denies sexual misconduct allegations as Bloc caucus stands behind leader
Yves-François Blanchet said he has no plans to step aside as party leader
Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet has again denied allegations of sexual misconduct that were levelled against him on social media last week, telling reporters that he is not capable of carrying out the acts of which he has been accused.
In a news conference on Sunday, Blanchet said in French that the allegations are political in nature and that the anonymity of the accusations is a dangerous practice that undermines the experiences of other victims.
In a Facebook post last Tuesday, an anonymous person said the alleged events happened in a Montreal bar in 1999. At the time, Blanchet was working in the music industry as the manager for rock singer Éric Lapointe.
The allegations were made on a Facebook page where people can anonymously share stories of sexual assault.
The post prompted Blanchet to issue a statement last week denying the allegations and inviting the person who made them to file a complaint with the authorities.
It is not known whether any formal complaint has been filed.
WATCH | Bloc leader says sexual misconduct allegations politically motivated:
Ahead of his remarks, all members of the Bloc caucus released a statement backing their leader.
The statement, signed by 31 MPs, says the caucus is convinced the allegations are false and that Blanchet has their full support.
The leader previously said he planned to continue his professional activities.
When asked Sunday whether he would step aside in the event that a complaint is filed with the police, Blanchet said he would cross that bridge at that point in time.
CBC News has not verified the allegations or spoken to the person making them.