Politics

4 Canadians now confirmed dead in Ecuador earthquake

International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says that four Canadians are confirmed dead as a result of Saturday's earthquake in Ecuador. Two were identified earlier from a Montreal family, while the other two are not yet known.

$1M in assistance pledged from Canada as small government team en route to assess needs

International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says that four Canadians are confirmed dead as a result of Saturday's earthquake in Ecuador.

Montrealer Jennifer Mawn and her 12-year-old son Arthur Laflamme had earlier been identified among the dead. The identities of the other two Canadians killed have not been released, as consular officials work to locate their family members.

Officials say 507 people were killed, with many more injured in the 7.8 magnitude earthquake along the country's Pacific coast. Casualty figures could still rise as emergency teams search for missing people.

A statement from Global Affairs Canada said Canada will be giving $1 million to humanitarian organizations working in the region to address basic needs like shelter, clean water, health, sanitation and other basic services.. 

The statement also said the defence department has deployed the Canadian disaster assessment team to look at the situation on the ground, following an official request for assistance from the Ecuadorian government Monday.

Based on this advance team's evaluation, Canada will make a decision on sending the Canadian military's disaster assistance response team (DART.) 

Bibeau said three others from Global Affairs Canada are also travelling to Ecuador to provide consular assistance and assess other ways for Canada to help.

Corrections

  • An earlier version of this story misstated the amount the federal government's offer of relief to Ecuador as $100 million. In fact, the government is pledging $1 million to Ecuador.
    Apr 19, 2016 4:22 PM ET

with files from the Associated Press

now