Jian Ghomeshi report from independent investigator hired by CBC to be released today
Employment lawyer Janice Rubin has been looking into how allegations were dealt with
The report from an independent investigator hired to examine CBC's handling of the allegations against Jian Ghomeshi is expected to be released Thursday.
Janice Rubin, a Toronto employment lawyer with expertise in the field of workplace harassment, was chosen in early November 2014 to lead an independent probe into the scandal that erupted around Ghomeshi as women came forward with sex and assault allegations.
Ghomeshi, former host of CBC's arts and culture show Q on Oct. 26, 2014, was fired after executives saw what they described as graphic evidence that he had physically injured a woman.
All CBC employees, including current and former employees who worked on Q or the television show Play while Ghomeshi was host, were invited to contact Rubin with their complaints or experiences regarding harassment, violence, discrimination or other inappropriate conduct.
President Hubert Lacroix and other CBC executives will speak to reporters via conference call on Thursday at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Her report is to include a summary of individual complaints and concerns, and recommendations on how CBC should handle them. She was also to separately suggest how to prevent similar issues from happening in the future.
When CBC announced last year that Rubin would be carrying out an investigation, president Hubert Lacroix told Radio-Canada that the recommendations of the independent probe "will be delivered to me, to Canadians and to the board of directors.
"If the recommendations that come change the way we do things, or if they validate the way we do things, they will be very, very public."
Lacroix and other CBC executives, including executive vice-president of English Services Heather Conway, will speak to reporters via conference call on Thursday at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Faces 8 charges
Several women contacted police, accusing Ghomeshi of harassment and violence. He now faces eight charges, which include seven counts of sexual assault and one of overcoming resistance by choking.
He has repeatedly denied taking part in any violent, non-consensual sexual acts.
Ghomeshi's lawyer has said he intends to plead not guilty to the charges.
Ghomeshi is free on $100,000 bail with numerous conditions.
He is due to return to court on April 28.
- An earlier version of this story said Jian Ghomeshi had entered not guilty pleas in court. In fact, Ghomeshi's lawyer has said he intends to plead not guilty to the eight charges.Apr 16, 2015 7:33 AM ET