U.K., Brazil lead International Emmy contenders
British and Brazilian television programs are leading contenders for the International Emmy Awards, it was announced Monday from the MIPCOM entertainment conference in Cannes.
Organizers unveiled a list of 40 nominees (from 20 different countries) vying in 10 categories. The International Emmys celebrate excellence in television programs created outside of the U.S.
The lone Canadian production nominated (in the documentary category) is celebrated filmmaker John Kastner's film Life with Murder, which follows a small-town Ontario couple dealing with the shocking murder of their teen daughter, who are then crushed when their son emerges as the prime suspect.
TV productions from the U.K. led the 2011 contenders with seven nominations, including for the popular drama Sherlock and acting nods for veteran actress Julie Walters (MO) and former Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston.
Brazil was right behind, with six nominations for productions by broadcaster TV Globo.
Sweden was also a multiple nominee, with the miniseries Millennium, based on Stieg Larsson's smash crime novel trilogy, in the running for a trio of Emmys.
The 2011 International Emmy nominees are:
- All My Life: Adoniran Barbosa (TV Globo/Brazil).
- Gareth Malone Goes to Glyndebourne (Twenty Twenty Television/U.K.).
- In der Werkstatt Beethovens — Die Neunte, Thielemann und die Wiener Philharmoniker (Unitel GmbH & Co. KG/ZDF/3sat/Germany).
- Memories of Origin — Hiroshi Sugimoto the Contemporary Artist (Wowow Inc./TV Man Union, Inc./Japan).
Best performance by an actor:
- Fabio Assuncao, Songs of Betrayal, (TV Globo/Brazil).
- Christopher Eccleston, Accused (RSJ Films for BBC One/U.K.).
- Jang Hyuk, The Slave Hunters (Korean Broadcasting System/South Korea).
- Michael Nyqvist, Millenium (Yellow Bird/SVT/ZDF/Nordisk Film /Sweden).
Best performance by an actress:
- Athena Chu Yan, A Wall-less World (Radio Television Hong Kong/Social Welfare Department/Hong Kong, China).
- Adriana Esteves, Songs of Betrayal (TV Globo/Brazil).
- Noomi Rapace, Millenium (Yellow Bird/SVT/ZDF/Nordisk Film/Sweden).
- Julie Walters, MO (ITV Studios for Channel 4/United Kingdom).
Children & young people:
- Allein gegen die Zeit (13 hours - Race against time) (Norddeutscher Rundfunk and various groups/Germany).
- Con Que Suenas? (What is your Dream?) (Mi Chica Producciones/CNTV/TVN/Chile).
- Dance Academy (Werner Film Productions/ABCorporation/ZDF/ZDF Enterprises Australian Children's Television Foundation/Australia).
- Saladin (Multimedia Development Corporation/Al Jazeera Children's Channel/Malaysia).
- Benidorm Bastards (Shelter/VMMA/Belgium).
- Breaking Up (TV Globo/Brazil).
- Facejacker (Hat Trick for Channel 4/U.K.).
- The Noose Season 3 (MediaCorp TV Pte Ltd/Singapore).
- Confesiones de un Sicario (Turner Argentina/Anima Films/Argentina).
- Life with Murder (JS Kastner Producions/National Film Board of Canada/Canada).
- The Nonfiction: Family Meeting — 7 Years in the Tanaka Family (Fuji Television Network, Inc./Japan).
- Wild Japan (Studio Hamburg DocLights Naturfilm/ORF/ARTE/National Geographic/Parthenon Entertainment/Germany).
- Engrenages (Spiral) (Son et Lumiere/CANAL+/France).
- Sakanoue no Kumo (Cloud Above the Slope) (NHK Japan Broadcasting Corporation/Japan).
- Sherlock (Hartswood Films/BBC Wales/United Kingdom).
- Under the Law (TV Globo/Brazil).
- La Expedicion —Mas alla de lo imposible (RM 5TO Elemento Mexico/Zodiak Entertainment Group/Fundacion Teleton Mexico/Mexico).
- El Hormiguero (The Anthill) (7 y accion/Spain).
- The Master Show (Korean Broadcasting System/South Korea).
- The World's Strictest Parents (Twenty Twenty Television/United Kingdom).
- Contra las Cuerdas (ON TV Llorente & Villarruel Contenidos SRL/Argentina).
- Destiny River (TV Globo/Brazil).
- Lacos de Sangue (Blood Ties) (TV Globo/S.I.C. (Sociedade Independente de Comunicacao/SP Televisao/Portugal).
- Precious Hearts Romances presents: Impostor (ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation/The Philippines).
- Millennium (Yellow Bird/SVT/ZDF/Nordisk Film/Sweden).
- MO (ITV Studios for Channel 4/U.K.).
- Operation Checkmate (TVE/Pentagrama Films/Paraiso Films/Caracol TV/Colombia).
- Shoe-Shine Boy (TV Tokyo Corporation / Toho. Co., Ltd./Japan).
Overall, organizers received more than 1,000 submissions from 61 countries for consideration.
"The number and range of countries represented by this year's nominees is astonishing and a testament to the growing strength and skill of television production around the world," Bruce Paisner, CEO of The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, said in a statement.
MIPCOM, which runs Oct. 3-6, is an annual, international film and television market and convention that takes place in Cannes, France.
The 2011 International Emmy Awards will be presented during a black-tie gala in New York on Nov. 21.