Entertainment

Sheen 'Torpedo of Truth' tour opens in Toronto

Charlie Sheen brought his Torpedo of Truth tour to Toronto on Thursday night.
Charlie Sheen waves to fans as he leaves the Chicago Theatre following a sold-out show. It was the second stop on his month-long, 20-city variety show tour. (Brian Kersey/Associated Press)

Charlie Sheen smoked a cigarette outside Toronto's Massey Hall on Thursday evening - then went inside and launched the Canadian version of his My Torpedo of Truth tour.

The actor was surrounded by handlers and hangers-on as he stood on the fire escape, smoked and joked with his fans.

Earlier in the day, Ontario's health promotion minister worried that Sheen might smoke on the stage.  But when Sheen walked out shortly after 8 p.m. to begin the show he sported a vapour cigarette, not the regular kind. 

The show, which has played to varying degrees of success in several U.S. cities, was MCed by Canadian stand-up comic Russell Peters who prompted Sheen to talk about his escapades over the years.

Sheen spoke about his love life, career and drugs.  He also blamed the media for some of his problems.

"They just make shit up. The media," he said.

The CBC's Eli Glasner reported from inside Massey Hall that he was watching "a barely organized gong show."  

The former Two and a Half Men star will be offering the city a taste of his offbeat musings   on Friday night too.

An after-party will also be held at a local nightclub. The show travels to Vancouver on May 2.   Since the show's debut in Detroit on April 2, when the 45-year-old actor received boos, heckling and brutal reviews, the format has undergone some changes.

Most prominently, he has been experimenting with more of a talk show-style format, featuring a moderator, which frees him up to simply deliver biting comments and offer his now-ubiquitous catchphrases.

That seemed to be the format for the Toronto show.  At one point Sheen even ventured into the crowd to take questions. 

Earlier this week, Sheen told a Boston radio station that discussions are underway about a possible return to Two and a Half Men. Warner Bros, which produces the show, has not commented.

One of the most popular programs on American television, it was halted indefinitely when Sheen's bizarre behaviour and blistering criticism of show creator Chuck Lorre provoked producers to fire him. Sheen then filed a $100-million US lawsuit against Warner Bros. and Lorre.

With files from The Canadian Press