Sandra Bullock sweeps People's Choice Awards
Ellen DeGeneres, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Jennifer Hudson among winners
Sandra Bullock reigned supreme at the 40th annual People's Choice Awards on Wednesday night, taking home four trophies as the evening's top winner.
The actress was named favourite movie actress, comedic actress, dramatic actress and shared the favourite movie duo award with Gravity co-star George Clooney. Bullock's buddy comedy, The Heat, co-starring Melissa McCarthy, was awarded favourite comedic movie.
Fans deemed Ellen DeGeneres their favourite daytime TV host, making her the woman who has gained the most People's Choice Awards with a total of 14 trophies.
"As a young girl growing up in New Orleans, if anyone would have told me I was going to win 14 People's Choice Awards I...I mean 12, yes. 13, maybe. But 14?" joked DeGeneres, host of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, who said that she wanted to make the show for everyone from old, young, black, white, gay and straight.
Iron Man 3 scored three awards including favourite movie, action movie and the film's star, Robert Downey Jr., channelling Iron Man in his acceptance speech, received the favourite action movie star honour.
Justin Timberlake nabs trio of honours
Justin Timberlake also nabbed three awards. Among them was the favourite album accolade for The 20/20 Experience. In a sweet moment, he thanked his "beautiful wife," Jessica Biel, "for teaching me patience and the little things like just putting the dishes in the dishwasher. It goes a long way. Fellas, you're welcome."
Katy Perry, who was not at the show, scored the win for favourite video for the third year in a row, following up last year's award for Part of Me and 2012's honour for Last Friday Night with her hit Roar this year.
A pregnant Drew Barrymore, who joked that DeGeneres had called her fat backstage, presented her Blended co-star Adam Sandler with the comedic movie actor award.
After debuting her talk show The Queen Latifah Show in 2013, fans crowned Queen Latifah their favourite new talk show host.
Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev, the stars of The Vampire Diaries, earned the award for best on-screen chemistry at the People's Choice Awards. The duo, who had their round of breakups and makeups on-screen and off, joked about their coupledom.
"The good thing is chemistry," said Dobrev, with her arm around Somerhalder, who she is no long romantically attached to. They managed to make a would-be awkward moment entertaining by addressing their buzz-worthy pairing head-on.
Shemar Moore heavily hit on fellow presenter Malin Akerman, cracking jokes about ebony and ivory and saying he didn't see a ring on her finger. She played right along, leaning in as the crowd cheered them on.
Stephen Colbert won the favourite late night talk show host award, Britney Spears picked up the favourite pop artist honour, and Kaley Cuoco received the favourite comedic TV actress prize as well as the favourite TV comedy award, along with the rest of the cast of The Big Bang Theory.
Sara Bareilles performed her hit Brave, country star Brad Paisley took the stage to sing The Mona Lisa and OneRepublic sang Counting Stars.
Emotional win for Jennifer Hudson
Jennifer Hudson was the show's second humanitarian award recipient for her work with children via her Julian D. King Gift Foundation. Bullock gained the show's first humanitarian award in 2013 for her efforts in storm-ravaged New Orleans.
Accompanied on stage by her sister Julia, Hudson, holding back tears, accepted the favourite humanitarian award.
"My mother always taught us without family you have nothing," Hudson said.
"Whether you know it or not, we all are family. What happens to the other happens to us. It's one thing to be a celebrity and have power, but it means nothing if we're not making a difference and helping someone else. It feels good to see positivity acknowledged. Where we come from, all you hear about is who shot who and who went to jail. There is more to life than the block you live on. We want to show them that I came from the same area and if I can do it, you can do it too."
LL Cool J presented Hudson with the award. The Oscar-winning actress created the Chicago-based Julian D. King Gift Foundation with her sister, Julia Hudson, in honour of her nephew, Julian King, who was murdered in 2008 at the age of 7.
2 Broke Girls stars Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs hosted the show at the Nokia Theatre.
Winners of the 2014 People's Choice Awards
- Favourite Movie: Iron Man 3
- Movie Actor: Johnny Depp
- Movie Actress: Sandra Bullock
- Movie Duo: Sandra Bullock & George Clooney (Gravity)
- Action Movie: Iron Man 3
- Action Movie Star: Robert Downey Jr.
- Comedic Movie: The Heat
- Comedic Movie Actor: Adam Sandler
- Comedic Movie Actress: Sandra Bullock
- Dramatic Movie: Gravity
- Dramatic Movie Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio
- Dramatic Movie Actress: Sandra Bullock
- Family Movie: Despicable Me 2
- Horror Movie: Carrie
- Thriller Movie: Now You See Me
- Year End Movie: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- Favourite Network TV Comedy: The Big Bang Theory
- Comedic TV Actor: Chris Colfer
- Comedic TV Actress: Kaley Cuoco
- Network TV Drama: The Good Wife
- Dramatic TV Actor: Josh Charles
- Dramatic TV Actress: Stana Katic
- Actor in a New TV Series: Joseph Morgan
- Actress in a New TV Series: Sarah Michelle Gellar
- TV Crime Drama: Castle
- Competition TV Show: The Voice
- Cable TV Comedy: Psych
- Cable TV Drama: The Walking Dead
- Premium Cable TV Show: Homeland
- Cable TV Actress: Lucy Hale
- TV Anti-Hero: Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
- TV Bromance: Sam, Dean & Castiel, Supernatural
- TV Gal Pals: Rachel & Santana, Glee
- On-Screen Chemistry: Damon & Elena, The Vampire Diaries
- Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Show: Beauty and the Beast
- Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actor: Ian Somerhalder
- Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress: Kristin Kreuk
- TV Movie/Miniseries: American Horror Story
- Daytime TV Host: Ellen DeGeneres
- New Talk Show Host: Queen Latifah
- Late Night Talk Show Host: Stephen Colbert
- Streaming Series: Orange Is the New Black
- Series We Miss Most: Breaking Bad
- New TV Comedy: Super Fun Night
- New TV Drama : Reign
- Favourite Male Artist: Justin Timberlake
- Female Artist: Demi Lovato
- Breakout Artist: Ariana Grande
- Pop Artist: Britney Spears
- Country Artist: Taylor Swift
- Country Music Icon: Tim McGraw
- Hip-Hop Artist: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- R&B Artist: Justin Timberlake
- Band: One Direction
- Alternative Band: Fall Out Boy
- Song: Roar, Katy Perry
- Album: The 20/20 Experience, Justin Timberlake
- Music Video: Roar, Katy Perry