Entertainment

New Indiana Jones movie confirmed by Lucasfilm

Lucasfilm Ltd. president Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that Disney has plans for a fifth Indiana Jones movie, but stopped short of confirming Harrison Ford's return.

It's not clear if longtime leading man Harrison Ford will return as swashbuckling hero

Actor Harrison Ford, playing Dr. Henry Walton (Indiana) Jones, throws a punch at a bad guy. Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that Disney has plans for a fifth Indy movie, but stopped short of confirming Ford's return.

Don't put your fedoras away just yet, Indiana Jones fans. A sequel featuring the adventurous archeology professor is in the works, according to the president of Lucasfilm.

Kathleen Kennedy confirmed in an interview published Tuesday by Vanity Fair that parent company Disney plans another Indy movie.

"[It] will one day be made inside this company," said Kennedy, who was noncommittal about a timeline for the project.

"When it will happen, I'm not quite sure. We haven't started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it."

Who will carry whip?

Talk of a fifth Indiana Jones film has been making the rounds since the premiere of 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. 

But it's not clear if longtime leading man Harrison Ford will be reprising his role as the swashbuckling hero.

There are rumours that actor Chris Pratt, seen here at 87th Annual Academy Awards, could sign on to play Indiana Jones. (Getty Images)
Earlier this year, the industry publication Deadline reported that Steven Spielberg, who directed the first four movies, wanted to helm Indiana Jones's rebirth with Guardians Of The Galaxy star Chris Pratt.

Pratt was also reportedly hand-picked by Spielberg as the lead in the upcoming Jurassic World.

As for Ford, the 72-year-old actor has been laying low since suffering serious injuries in a small plane crash in March.

In a 2013 interview, the avid pilot and Star Wars star said he thought it would be "perfectly appropriate" for him to return to the role in his 70s.

"To me, what was interesting about the character was that he prevailed, that he had courage, that he had wit, that he had intelligence, that he was frightened and that he still managed to survive," Ford told the Telegraph. "That I can do."
Harrison Ford has played the adventurous archeologist since Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981. (Reuters)

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Account Holder

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now