Mr. D, Goon, Colin Mochrie win Canadian Comedy Awards
CBC's Mr. D, This Hour Has 22 Minutes and This Is That, Colin Mochrie and the hockey film Goon were among the winners Sunday night at the 14th annual Canadian Comedy Awards in Ottawa.
Veteran actor and improv comedian Mochrie, who recently returned in a new incarnation of the popular show Whose Line Is It Anyway?, was honoured as Canadian comedy person of the year.
CBC productions and personalities earned several honours, including Mr. D and This Hour Has 22 Minutes tying for best TV show and This Is That winning best radio program.
Mr. D cast member Naomi Snieckus, who is also a co-creator of the improv troupe The National Theatre of the World, earned the award for best female performance in a TV or web series. Meanwhile, Steve Patterson, host of CBC Radio's The Debaters, won the award for best male stand-up.
The hit Michael Dowse hockey comedy Goon, penned by Jay Baruchel and Evan Gooldberg, picked up the award for best feature film. My Awkward Sexual Adventure was also among the winners, nabbing one award for director Sean Garrity and another for actress Emily Hampshire's performance.
The full list of winners:
- Canadian Comedy Person of the Year: Colin Mochrie
- Best Feature Film: Goon
- Direction in a Feature: Sean Garrity, My Awkward Sexual Adventure
- Writing in a Feature: Christopher Bond and Trevor Martin, A Little Bit Zombie
- Male Performance in a Feature: Jim Annan, Unlucky
- Female Performance in a Feature: Emily Hampshire, My Awkward Sexual Adventure
- Direction in a TV or Web Series: Adam Brodie + Dave Derewlany, HBO's FunnyAs Hell
- Writing in a TV or Web Series: Dan Beirne & Mark Little, Dad Drives
- Male Performance in a TV or Web Series: Mark Little, Dad Drives
- Female Performance in a TV or Web Series: Naomi Snieckus, Mr. D
- Ensemble Performance in a TV or Web Series: The Imponderables and Nicholas Campbell, Bill & Sons Towing
- Comedy Short: Internet Search History Revealed
- Best Breakout Artist: Stacey McGunnigle
- Taped Live Performance: Rebecca Kohler, Winnipeg Comedy Festival
- Male Stand-Up: Steve Patterson
- Female Stand-Up: Sara Hennessey
- Sketch Troupe: Peter n' Chris
- Improv Troupe: Mantown
- Male Improvisor: Jason DeRosse
- Female Improvisor: Jan Caruana
- Comedic Play, Revue or Series: Rapp Battlez!
- One Person Show: Classy Lady
- TV Show: (Tie) Mr. D and This Hour Has 22 Minutes
- Radio Program or Clip: This Is That
- Web Series: Space Janitors
- Podcast: Stop Podcasting Yourself
- Phil Hartman Award: Mike MacDonald
- Dave Broadfoot Award: Robin Duke
- Roger Abbott Award: Angela Martin
The awards show concluded the Canadian Comedy Awards and Festival, which saw a flurry of comedy shows take over Ottawa venues over the weekend.