Mexico pulls pageant contestant over Donald Trump's offensive comments
Trump has damaged the Miss Universe, said Mexico's national beauty pageant director
Mexico's national beauty pageant director confirms the country won't send a contestant to Miss Universe because of insulting remarks by Donald Trump, a businessman and owner of the contest who is also a U.S. presidential candidate.
Lupita Jones says via her official Twitter account that she was offended and angry "like everyone else" with Trump over his comments referring to Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists.
Jones was Miss Universe 1991 and runs the Mexico competition.
She said Trump damaged the pageant and its tradition of convening countries for an event that showcases "friendship, unity and breaking down cultural barriers."
She lauded Mexico's media giant, Televisa, for deciding not to air the pageant in announcing that Mexico would not participate.
The move by Televisa, one of the largest TV groups in the hemisphere, followed NBC's decision Monday to end its business relationship with the mogul and U.S. Republican presidential candidate.
NBC said it would no longer air the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, which had been a joint venture between the company and Trump. Miss USA has aired on NBC since 2003, and this year's edition was set for July 12.
Less than a week before the NBC move, Univision similarly decided to ditch Trump and the pageants.
During his presidential kickoff speech, Trump said Mexican immigrants are "bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists and some, I assume, are good people." He called for building a wall along the southern border of the United States. Trump later said that his remarks were directed at U.S. policymakers, not the Mexican government or its people.
The 69-year-old real estate tycoon has refused to apologize for his statements, saying they "were correct."
With files from CBC News