Entertainment

Radio host John Derringer and Q107 'part ways' amid misconduct investigation

Toronto radio station Q107 says that host John Derringer, who was on hiatus after a misconduct investigation was initiated by parent company Corus Entertainment earlier this year, is leaving his show 'Derringer in the Morning.'

Investigation into human rights complaint by Jennifer Valentyne 'remains ongoing,' says radio station

A close up image of a smiling man is pictured against a white background.
In a Twitter post on Tuesday, Toronto radio station Q107 said it and former host John Derringer have decided to part ways amid a misconduct investigation that was launched earlier this year. (Corus Entertainment)

Toronto radio station Q107 says that host John Derringer, who was on hiatus after a misconduct investigation was initiated by parent company Corus Entertainment earlier this year, is leaving his show Derringer in the Morning.

The rock station posted a statement detailing the change on Twitter, saying that Derringer and Q107 have "agreed to part ways, effective today."

It went on to state that the "'independent investigation initiated by Corus remains ongoing."

Derringer first went on hiatus after allegations of verbal abuse and gender-based discrimination were raised by Jennifer Valentyne, a high-profile broadcaster who used to work there. 

Valentyne first made accusations in May, when she posted a widely shared video to Facebook condemning the way she was treated by her former employer and by co-workers. 

She did not name specific colleagues in the video, but in a subsequent email to CBC confirmed the subjects of the video were Q107, Corus and Derringer.

Valentyne wrote that she came forward because she "didn't want [her] voice to be silent anymore."

"There is a double standard that still exists and that must change," she continued. "When one woman is treated with disrespect in the workplace it impacts all of us. The overwhelming response from women with similar experiences supports the need for equality."

Valentyne worked as a co-host with Derringer, who had been a host at Q107 for 22 years. Corus began its investigation three days after Valentyne's video was posted, and issued a statement saying it had "mediated conversations with her" and was "waiting determination of next steps." It also stated there was a "process underway with the Canadian Human Rights Commission."

Following Valentyne's video, a number of other Toronto radio personalities raised similar complaints about Derringer — including former colleagues Jacqui Delaney and Maureen Holloway.

In its statement on Tuesday, Q107 said plans for a new show are forthcoming. 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Jackson Weaver is a senior writer for CBC Entertainment News. You can reach him at jackson.weaver@cbc.ca, or follow him on Twitter at @jacksonwweaver

now