Entertainment

Harrison Ford's plane lost power before L.A. crash: report

Actor Harrison Ford's vintage airplane lost engine power shortly before he crash-landed at a Los Angeles golf course last week, a report released on Tuesday said.

72-year-old Raiders of the Lost Ark actor still in hospital

Harrison Ford's vintage airplane lost engine power shortly before he crash-landed at a L.A. golf course last week, according to a report released on Tuesday. (Lucy Nicholson/Reuters)

Actor Harrison Ford's vintage airplane lost engine power shortly before he crash-landed at a Los Angeles golf course last week, a report released on Tuesday said.

The preliminary findings from the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board confirm Ford's own radio transmissions reporting an engine failure to the control tower at the Santa Monica Airport last Thursday as he brought the plane down on the eighth fairway at the golf course.

Ford, 72, known for playing the iconic characters Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark and its sequels and Han Solo in the Star Wars franchise, was seriously injured in the crash of the 1942 single-engine Ryan Aeronautical ST-3KR plane, which is also known as a PT-22 Recruit.

The crash, which occurred a short distance from houses, follows years of complaints by residents in the heavily populated beachside community that the airport interferes with their quality of life.

Ford still in hospital

The National Transportation Safety Board's report released on Tuesday said Ford's plane "sustained substantial damage following a loss of engine power and subsequent forced landing after take-off from the Santa Monica Municipal Airport."

Ford made a left turn back to the airport when he lost power and on his descent the aircraft struck the top of a tree and crashed onto the golf course, about 244 metres southwest of the approach end of a runway, the report said.

The report does not name Ford as the pilot and sole occupant of the plane but his spokeswoman has confirmed it was him.

The NTSB is continuing its investigation of the crash following its initial findings released on Tuesday.

Ford was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in fair to moderate condition. He was still in the hospital on Monday, according to a report from ABC News. A spokeswoman for the actor declined to comment on Monday and she could not immediately be reached on Tuesday.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now