Argo, Silver Linings Playbook win prizes from broadcast critics
On the same day Ben Affleck was snubbed as an Oscar contender for directing, the Broadcast Film Critics Association gave him two trophies for his thriller Argo.
The critics group, comprising 250 members representing film critics in the U.S. and Canada, handed out its annual awards in Santa Monica, Calif. on Thursday.
Actor-director Affleck joked about the Oscar snub as he accepted the BFCA's best director honour. "I would like to thank the academy," he began, before adding, "I'm kidding. This is the one that counts."
Argo, his well-received thriller revisiting the 1979 Iran hostage crisis, was also named overall best picture.
Earlier Thursday morning, the U.S. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences unveiled its nominees for the upcoming Oscars. Though Argo earned seven nominations — including for best picture — Affleck was one of several filmmakers who were surprisingly left out of contention for the best director trophy.
Multiple wins for Silver Linings Playbook
The BFCA showed its love for the misfits romance tale Silver Linings Playbook, which ended the night as one of the big winners. It earned the prize for best acting ensemble as well as best comedy. Meanwhile, stars Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence took trophies for best actor and actress in a comedy, respectively.
Lawrence was a double-winner Thursday night, also winning the title of best actress in an action movie for her lead role in The Hunger Games.
"Critics aren't so bad," she quipped as she accepted her trophy for The Hunger Games, based on the hit Suzanne Collins young adult novel trilogy.
"Seriously, I love critics," she added upon later winning for Silver Linings Playbook.
The remaining categories were spread out between a host of films. The latest BFCA winners are:
- Best Picture: Argo.
- Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln.
- Actress: Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty.
- Supporting Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master.
- Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables.
- Young Actor/Actress: Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild.
- Acting Ensemble: Silver Linings Playbook.
- Director: Ben Affleck, Argo.
- Original Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained.
- Adapted Screenplay: Tony Kushner, Lincoln.
- Cinematography: Claudio Miranda, Life of Pi.
- Art Direction: Sarah Greenwood and Katie Spencer, Anna Karenina.
- Editing: William Goldenberg and Dylan Tichenor, Zero Dark Thirty.
- Costume Design: Jacqueline Durran, Anna Karenina.
- Makeup: Cloud Atlas.
- Visual Effects: Life of Pi.
- Animated Feature: Wreck-It Ralph.
- Action Movie: Skyfall.
- Actor in an Action Movie: Daniel Craig, Skyfall.
- Actress in an Action Movie: Jennifer Lawrence, The Hunger Games.
- Comedy: Silver Linings Playbook.
- Actor in a Comedy: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook.
- Actress in a Comedy: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook.
- Sci-Fi/Horror Movie: Looper.
- Foreign Language Film: Amour.
- Documentary Feature: Searching for Sugarman.
- Song: Skyfall.
- Score: John Williams, Lincoln.
Special presentations included a "genius" award given to filmmaker Judd Apatow, which honoured "an unprecedented demonstration of excellence in the cinematic arts."
Held in Los Angeles, the ceremony marked the BFCA's 18th annual awards and was broadcast on the CW network.
With files from The Associated Press