Dog parks, basketball courts, picnic areas among outdoor amenities reopening today
Malden Park's dog park will remain closed, however, due to ground repairs
Dog parks, basketball courts, picnic sites and other outdoor amenities are expected to reopen in the City of Windsor as of 10 a.m. Wednesday.
Previous restrictions imposed by the province to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 were lifted as part of the Ontario Premier Doug Ford's first stage of reopening.
The city has posted the following list of what's open and closed:
- Playgrounds - closed.
- Basketball courts - opening today.
- Off-leash dog parks - opening today.
- Beaches - closed.
- Skateboard parks - opening today.
- Off-road cycling trails - closed as construction work continues.
- Picnic areas - opening today.
- All park benches and tables throughout parks - opening today.
- Outdoor community gardens - open.
- Park shelters - opening today.
- Outdoor exercise equipment - closed.
- Outdoor pools - closed.
- Splash pads - closed.
- Sport stadiums and permit-based sports fields - closed.
- Non-permit-based sports fields - open.
The small dog park at Malden Park will remain closed, however, due to ground repairs. That's expected to take between four and six weeks.
The City of Windsor is reminding people to practice social distancing, keep gatherings to five people or fewer, wash hands frequently and carry hand sanitizer.
Tecumseh begins reopening outdoor recreational facilities on May 22
While Windsor began reopening some outdoor recreational facilities on Wednesday, residents of Tecumseh will need to wait until Friday to get their outdoor fix.
The following facilities will be open on May 22:
- Tennis courts.
- Pickleball courts.
- Lakewood Park Disc Golf.
- Tecumseh Skate Park.
- Tecumseh Dog Park.
- Basketball courts.
- Picnic areas.
- Park shelters.
- All park benches and tables.
- Non-permit-based sports fields.
According to a Wednesday media release, tennis and pickleball courts will open to everyone between May 22 and May 26.
Beginning on May 27, however, membership keys available for purchase online will be required to access the courts.
With files from Sanjay Maru