Windsor

Passerby wakes occupant of burning home

Sarnia Fire Rescue want to thank a good Samaritan who banged on the front door of a burning home Wednesday night and woke the lone occupant up.

Sarnia fire officials said outcome could have been different had the passerby not acted

Sarnia Fire Rescue want to thank a good Samaritan who banged on the front door of a burning home Wednesday night and woke the lone occupant up.

Fire officials said that had it not been for the actions of the passerby the outcome at a home in the 200 block of Parker Street could have been a lot different because there was no working smoke alarm in the home.

Fifteen firefighters from three stations responded to the house fire at approximately 11 p.m. and arrived to find smoke coming from the house.

The fire was contained to the living room area with smoke and heat damage to the rest of the house.

A lone occupant was treated for smoke inhalation at the hospital and then later released.

Damage to the home and its contents is believed to be $50,000.

The cause of the fire was an unattended candle left burning in the living room.

now