Bidding on Gordie Howe bridge set to begin
Three groups made the shortlist for the bridge's construction last year
Construction of the Gordie Howe International Bridge took a step forward Thursday.
Officials from the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority released specifics about the bridge work, which a list of groups will use in their bid to win the contract.
- Gordie Howe bridge construction on schedule, officials claim
- Dwight Duncan on challenges facing Gordie Howe International Bridge
Three groups made the shortlist for the bridge's construction last year, including Legacy Link Partners, Bridging North America and CanAm Gateway Partners.
Issuing the request for proposals is well overdue, considering it was originally expected to be sent out by the end of 2015. Some challenges still remain, such as the need to purchase parcels of land in Detroit to make way for the bridge.
Bridge Authority chairman Dwight Duncan said the project will not be finished by 2020 as originally expected. He told CBC there is a year and a half before the bid is finalized and he expects construction to take four years.
Mayor Drew Dilkens told CBC News that he doesn't have concerns Donald Trump would put a stop to the bridge, following his win in the U.S. presidential election.
"The permits already been made available. They're working on construction. They're working on expropriation. That project is too far down the road," said Dilkens.
In an interview on Windsor Morning, Ontario's Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said he believes his federal counterparts are working hard to complete the bridge.
"We're focused on fighting for this province. We're focused on making sure we make strategic investments in crucial infrastructure," Del Duca said.